1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Victorian/Edwardian lingerie...help appreciated!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by denisebrain, Jan 26, 2010.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Wow, Lei, couldn't you be more specific? :)

I really thank you for adding your information to this. I'm much wiser for having asked about it!

2. Laura

Laura Alumni

I hadn't had a chance to comment before, and I scanned the images but my computer crashed, so I don't have them to show right now. However, I did find a very similar garment in an 1882 Butterick pattern catalogue. The main difference was the neckline and sleeves - it was for daywear - and it was also fuller in the back. Interestingly, it was a misses' pattern for ages 8-15 years - there was no corresponding pattern in the ladies' section.

The catalogue called it a "combined corset-cover and under-skirt" and it was issued in 1881. There was another "combination chemise, corset-cover and under-skirt".

3. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Laura, that would make sense if they still made them in 1881 as the bustle was still low then too. They probably just updated the shoulder seam placement but I bet the bottom half was still the same. :)

4. Laura

Laura Alumni

Yep - I agree completely. :) (I hope it didn't sound like I was disagreeing with you - I just meant to say that I found something to support your dating.)

I had also scanned some images of evening bodices from my 1876 Butterick catalogue to show the neckline that you and Jonathan mentioned. If I get the scanner connected again and have a few minutes, I'll scan them again so everyone can see the pattern illustrations.

I love these old pattern catalogues!!

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member