1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Victory Blue - WWI or WWII??

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Patentleathershoes, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Everybody - someone from another list i am on asked this. can anyone answer her???

Chris

Quote:
    To those who would know about these things,<BR>
    Can someone tell me what time period "Victory Blue" is from.<BR>
    Is it WWI or WWII? I'm looking at bridesmaid dressing in that color and am<BR>
    curious what era it's from

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Hey Chris, I anwered you on the member boards, with my long list of reasoning, but I bet it would be WW2.

3. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Thanks! I did think WWII = Churchill = Victory sign.

Don't know the exact *SHADE* it is supposed to be - i would imagine a deep true blue - lighter than navy - but who could tell in the b/w photos : )

4. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Chris...I did a search on the first couple of pages that came up on google for 'victory blue'. There is reference to
    a couple of WWII recovery ships, and armed ships
    with this name. Also a couple of sites with clothing using
    'victory blue'.

<a href="http://secure.youralumni.com/westover/store/view_product.asp?id=11412">Westover Alumnae site</a>

You may find more on subsequent pages on google, but I think it is safe to say WWII is when this colour term
    came about.

Sue:)

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I would go for the blue colour found on the British and American flags, a dark royal, almost navy blue.