1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage 100% Navy Wool Hermès Cape

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Erinhurd, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Erinhurd

Erinhurd Registered Guest

I recently found a Vintage Navy Hermès 100% wool cape. No hood. Arm holes in front. Tags say Hermès sport. Bottom of cape is a very soft suede. Buttons do not have Hermès on them. My question is this authentic? Worth anything? If not, I will wear it because it is super cute, but want to keep it in the amazing shape it is in, in case I can sell it or give to a museum or something. Attaching pictures and any help would be great. Like around when was this sort of cape made? I have seen the orange/green aquestrian cape Circ 1980 and it is similar, but I have not found any with the suede bottom. It is so soft! Again any help would be awesome! Even if it is to tell me this is a fake!
    PS: also it is Really Heavy!

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Hi there. Great find. It's against VFG rules to authenticate, just so you know. Why do you think it's fake, just curious?

Label looks pretty good and that kind of care label would date to approx. early 80s, I believe.

About it's value... it really depends on what the market will bear. Review ebay completed for a better idea of that.

3. Erinhurd

Erinhurd Registered Guest

Thanks so much! And thanks for the heads up about authenticating! I guess I was just curious about the age of the piece, etc. it is so pretty and the suede at the bottom is so soft, I thought it must be worth something thank you so much for replying!

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I've seen Hermes with leather trim... in the 80s. I do believe they are worth quite a bit to the collectors but you need to research. Hint: could be a pretty penny. ; )

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, no authentication here - that can only be done by someone holding the item in hand. However, with a vintage piece like this, chances are probably smaller of it not being authentic (a hint: the other thing besides fakes we do see sometimes in the vintage world is that a vintage designer label is put into a non-designer vintage garment - but the way the labels are sown into your cape looks fine).
    I guess you have to decide if you want to sell it or keep it. In my opinion, if you love something and love wearing it - keep it and wear it, if you take good care of it, should you tire of it, you can still sell it. Everybody has their own reason for buying, wearing or collecting vintage. For me, personally, its the joy of wearing something well-made that I love to wear. I have vintage things in my closet that I wear constantly, and I have a few designer treasures that I don't wear a lot, but when I do, it gives me a buzz. Some of them I've paid a pretty penny for, some of them I bought for next to nothing in a thrift shop. I love them all the same.

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Is is beautiful. The suede may be kid suede or lamb suede. It is a classic style. I see nothing to indicate a fake, but please do not take that as an authentication in any way.

7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

do you live anywhere near an Hermes shop? if so, you may want to call them to see if they want to make an appointment to see it, to authenticate it (or not) for you.

Here's their shop locator: https://www.hermes.com/us/en/find-store/

8. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator