Vintage blankets. Jacket and hoodie.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by lindapoirier, Aug 9, 2017.

1. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Registered Guest

I just got this jacket on Ebay. It was listed as 70s. Maybe it was made in the 70s but I feel the blanket it was made with might be 30s. What do you think?

IMG_0842.JPG

I just love folk art and that is what I consider these items to be because they utilize these beautiful blankets. I assume the actual blankets must have been "cutters" and someone with an eye for quality must have wanted to salvage the useful parts of the blankets.

Here is a hoodie I found last year on Etsy made from a Hudson's Bay blanket.

il_570xN.1116306031_ce44.jpeg

il_570xN.1116306013_sx2o-1.jpeg

Have you come across any vintage items reconstructed?

Also, a jacket would be used much more than a blanket?

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix Trade Member

Linda,

I love that jacket with the fur collar. Is the blanket wool, or is it some other fabric/fiber? The pattern on the back looks more Art Nouveau to 1920s era, at least to me.

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  3. lindapoirier

Yes it is wool and it is more 20s than 30s. It is in such good condition but I guess a blanket might keep better than a dress or actual jacket because it is probably folded in a closet with other blankets above and below.

If it is a 20s blanket I am so happy.

The collar is repurposed also. Three elastic loops match three clear plastic buttons.

4. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

When I saw that jacket my heart skipped a beat. I also see Art Nouveau 1920s.

5. Another Time Antiques

Another Time Antiques Trade Member

They are both great!!! As an avid camper, my heart is pulled to that amazing Hudson Bay hoodie! I own such a blanket with 2 holes in it and still use it on our bed in winter. But .... now I'm thinking!!

6. lindapoirier

Well, if you still use it, especially during winter, then I would say make sure you have a warm replacement blanket before you repurpose. Also, if the holes are small then don't cut it but if it is unsightly then cut away!

My hoodie is one of my favourite things in the world. Also, I have yet to find anything warmer than a Hudson's Bay blanket.