1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage blouse and skirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Sheryl Awtonomow, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Sheryl Awtonomow

Sheryl Awtonomow Registered Guest

Good day! I am not sure what era the blouse and skirt/petticoat? are from, but the note in the cedar chest says Grandma's dress. My grandmother was Helen Van Voris Berndt (born in America in 1905). My great grandmother (Katherine Enright Van Voris) was born in Ireland in 1867. That is according to stuff I found and still researching.

Anyway, not sure of era these were from. Uncle thinks it may have been his grandmother's wedding dress and I think it was my grandmothers (his mother)! LOL Thanks for looking!

IMG_1317.jpg IMG_1450.jpg IMG_1451.jpg IMG_1452.jpg IMG_1453.jpg IMG_1454.jpg IMG_1455.jpg IMG_1456.jpg IMG_1457.jpg IMG_1458.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2021
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It's a little hard to be specific as it's not mounted to see the shape of the bodice and sleeves, however, the slightly gathered front of the bodice and puffed sleeves plus the wide yoke all suggest a c. 1899 date. The petticoat would be from the same period. Black for weddings are not impossible but very unusual.

GemGem and LaurenMG like this.
  3. Sheryl Awtonomow

Thank you so much! Perhaps we are both wrong and it was just an outfit! Appreciate your time in looking and providing the detail that you have!
    I took some another pix some time ago and located it to share. Not sure if it helps at all - I don't have a way to mount them, so I know they are not great, but sharing!
    Thanks so much again!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Family heirloom, lovely.

Taking into account the dates given I think blouse a little earlier,1885 and and the petticoat 1890s.

GemGem likes this.
  5. Sheryl Awtonomow

IMG_1315.jpg Thank you again!