1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage brooch ? dating and origin ID?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by scillas, Jan 20, 2010.

1. scillas

scillas Registered Guest

Vintage brooch – dating and origin ID?

Hi again everyone :hiya:

I picked up this small vintage custom brooch, that I'm having some difficulties parting with again...
    Partly because I just like it, but also because I don't really know how to place it in time or country of origin – or what to call it.

I know a little about vintage scandinavian jewelry – most mostly form 40s/50s onward, but one isn't so familiar to that. Is it perhaps because it's pre 40s?

It is about 3 cm wide and I think it is brass and ... hmm, don't know: Glass? Crystals? Rhinestones?

Any help with naming, dating, etc. is much appreciated !

More pics:
    brooch

Sille in Denmark

2. scillas

scillas Registered Guest

Sorry!

Thought I had posted this in the Q & A forum – but obviously I didn't!
    Hope you'll bear with me! Sorry! :duh2:

Sille

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Sille -

Just found the additional photos by clicking brooch above. Thanks! It think the piece is fairly old -and may be a sash pin - worn at the waist. I do not know where it is from. I think the stones are rhinestones but old cut ones and it I were guessing as to a date I think probably 1890's-1900's. The catch is a simple "c" catch and the hinge is an older type of "tube" hinge. This is not an era that I know a lot about so I hope someone who knows more about antique jewelry will step in!

Linn

4. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Glad Linn checked in--both so she could offer her knowledge and so she could point the way to those other pics!

I'm even less familiar with antique jewelry, but I agree after seeing the back of the brooch that it's old... Very pretty--I love the unusual cut/facets to the stones...

5. scillas

scillas Registered Guest

Thank you Linn and Carrie, wow, had never thought it could be that old, and very interesting that it might have been worn at the waist.
    Would never had thought of that either :)

Next time I'll write "link to pics" or something, didn't mean to hide them ;-)