1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage CHANEL black dress found at my grandmothers home

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Rhmnola74, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Rhmnola74

Rhmnola74 Registered Guest

image.jpg Recently found a very vintage Chanel black tank dress and would appreciate assistance dating it.
    Thanks so much! image.jpg

2. Rhmnola74

Pic of tag

Attached Files:

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

It looks interesting, and it's great you included the label shot, but we really need lighter photos of the dress..

4. Rhmnola74

Will get better pics in the next few days!

5. Yes, better photos will help a lot - preferably right way up and in focus too. Detail shots of the fabric and construction will help as well. So far all we have is a silhouette.

6. Rhmnola74

I have included additional pics of the dress, as well as this jacket that does not have a label. It was found with the dress and is the same fabric.
    The jacket is really cool!
    It has big bell sleeves that have a small slit for your hand to peek out.

Attached Files:

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

It appears to be early thirties. There are people who can date it more accurately for you.I suggest you take this to a professional for appraisal. They need to be able to handle it, look at the construction and fabric and the label to see if it is both original and correct for the time period. If there is a museum with a good textile/clothing department near you, that would be a great start. Plus take a lot of very clear, well lit photos, including the label, to document your ownership.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  8. Rhmnola74

Can u recommend anyone in the New Orleans area?
    Thanks so much!

9. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

No, I don't know anyone down that way, but a quick google search showed that Louisiana State Museum has a textile and clothing collection, so that might be a place to start.

10. Pepper Sinclair

Pepper Sinclair Registered Guest

11. Pepper, the label was used for a long time and whilst the Pintrest dress is from a similar date, it's a very different dress.

The main question with this dress is authenticity as it's not uncommon to copy a label like this and insert into a dress. The provenance suggests this is unlikely, but with poor quality photos we're unable to determine if this dress is couture quality in its construction and fabric, hence an in-person appraisal will be the most accurate.

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  12. Pepper Sinclair

Pepper Sinclair Registered Guest

Yes, I just meant that the drapes around the hip are of a similar style. The material looks to be completely different as well. I agree that better photos would help.