1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage DeWeese swimsuit

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Melonie, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

Hello, i picked this cutie up at the SA. The label is different than any of your DeWeese labels under the label guide so im really just trying to confirm a decade. I did find this label on an ebay listing and it had hang tags that confirm it is a DeWeese designs but do you think this is 70's? The ebay listing says 70's but i know that doesnt always mean it is true.

Attached Files:

GemGem likes this.
  2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hmmm. You're right Melonie, it's a different label—that W is not the typical 1970s W from the labels, yet it looks like a 70s suit. I hope someone can help more than I can!

GemGem likes this.
  4. Going by the bra, it appears to be more late 1980s.
    I don't think it 1970s with the inside construction.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    GemGem and Vintagiality like this.
  5. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I think it’s 80s as well

GemGem likes this.
  6. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I had a little skim on ebay and etsy and found many labels the same as yours.

The dating is a little all over the place but from what I can gather most are dating to the 70s-80s. So the label must have changed style somewhere is the 70s. There is also another label design which seems to be a diffusion line which is block print in style.

Yours looks more 70s to me with that low pant style and design.

Edit: As others have said it could be 80s with that construction, interesting that the style looks quite 70s. Maybe very early 80s or on the cusp?

Your label might be a handy addition to the label resource once a firmer dating is established :).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    denisebrain and carla rey like this.
  7. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I think this might be made in the early 80s catering to a more modest style for older women, either that or newer labels were sewn into some older stock. It's a puzzler!

GemGem and denisebrain like this.
  8. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

you guys are awesome. I learn a lot with you guys everytime!!

Midge likes this.