1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think the date on the label might be 9/12/75 and agree it was probably an alteration tag.

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I forgot to ask this. Is the belt original to the coat? Or have you added it for the photos?

3. That ILGWU label was used only from 1974-1995, so it HAS to be from somewhere in there. Can't be any younger as that union label did not exist prior to 1974.

4. EvaViola

EvaViola Registered Guest

My guess 1985, material content looks like camel hair.

5. EvaViola

EvaViola Registered Guest

I think that is an 8 with a straight top and straight crossover line that is faded. A style of handwritten numbers popular in the 80s

6. There's really no doubt. You can't have a coat older than 1974 with that Union label. It didn't exist before 1974. The only question is whether the coat is from the 70s, 80s or early 90s, and it certainly looks 80s to me. The handwritten label likely refers to alterations. Nicer department stores had alteration departments until fairly recently. They would alter anything you bought, right in the store. Take up hems or take in waists or whatever you needed. Some still do. You would most often have the alterations made at the time you bought the coat. You didn't bring it back later, generally speaking. It wasn't like going to a tailor. So she probably bought the coat in September of 1985.

7. Missy7799

Missy7799 Registered Guest

Hello! I checked the Dior label resource and couldn’t find my label. I have a custom Dior fur coat and wondering about what type of fur and label date?

upload_2020-2-6_13-18-52.jpeg upload_2020-2-6_13-19-49.jpeg upload_2020-2-6_13-19-23.jpeg

8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hi Missy, you'll probably get a better response if you start a new thread for your coat