1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Dofan leather bag - help determining if it's really exotic?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TeamSparkleVintage, Feb 2, 2021.

1. TeamSparkleVintage

TeamSparkleVintage Registered Guest

Hi everyone - I have this adorable little bag that I picked up at a thrift store years and years ago, and am so curious as to if it could be a genuine exotic or embossed piece. The brand is Dofan, and I think it's circa the 40s/50s (possibly 60s?) based upon my research, but wanted to know if anyone else could provide any info on this brand/bag? It looks like they did both real exotic leathers and embossed leather...does anyone have any opinions on if this could be real crocodile, alligator or just embossed?

Thanks in advance!

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

As it looks to be more of a patent leather, I would say embossed. I see 50s or early 60s as far as dating goes.

3. gatco

gatco VFG Member

I agree with embossed. I have handled a lot of exotic leathers in my years and this one doesn't seem to have the texture and configuration I would expect.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It's pretending to be croc, rather than alligator. The dot in each square is typical of crocodile.