1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Deborah Cordell

Deborah Cordell Registered Guest

Hi, I've stumbled across this gorgeous dress which used to be my grandma's. I can't seem to find out anything about it. Does anyone recognise the label? It reads: design by Suliman, Maddox St London W1. It's truly stunning with a quilted bodice & I think it's silk. Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

No idea on the label, but the color combination and shape of the dress to me look like 80s. Does it have shoulder pads?

3. Deborah Cordell

No shoulder pads, very full blouson sleeves which are definitely silk. Fastens with poppers. Tiny waist!

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm... let's see what others have to say. The very full sleeves are quite an 80s feature, even if there are no shoulder pads, and like I said, the colors and color combination.

5. Deborah Cordell

Thanks for your help.

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

love the colors on that, Deborah!

to me it has a 70s vibe: the stand up collar, full sleeves, the cut of the bodice, the colorway, the batik design, the maxi length.

i'm not familiar with that particular label, but it looks like it may be an import brand. Lots of department stores had lines that would be manufactured elsewhere (inexpensive labor) and then have their label sewn in. It's very pretty!

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is a 1972 London directory entry for Suliman...

SulimanLondon1972DirClipSm.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

9. Deborah Cordell

Thank you all so much for your replies. It's really pretty, but sadly, it doesn't fit any of us so we'll probably try to sell it.

10. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I see this particular dress design, with that exact panel shape, piping and full sleeves many times on british dresses from the 70's to 80's. They are usually done in floral prints (often Liberty) however and it is very unusual to see it in those bold colours and tie dye print, combined with the full length skirt I would also have said this was a 70's version. Very Arabian nights.

11. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Like Karin, I really associate that colour combo with the 80s. However it could be ahead of it's time!