1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vintage elephant hide handbag worth????

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by adam murphy, Jul 23, 2015.

1. adam murphy

adam murphy Registered Guest

I have been given a Vintage Elephant skin handbag that i would like to sell but have no idea of the value of the bag anybody that could help??? $_57.JPG bag2.JPG handbag1.JPG

2. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

3. adam murphy

Hi
    Sorry about that is it ok to ask how i would go about getting it valued

4. Adam, you might like to check the laws in your location as elephant hide may be a restricted product with prohibitions on selling. For example, in Australia it's illegal.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  5. adam murphy

I have checked that and because of when it was made its ok to sell made in late 60s early 70s

6. Adam, you emailed me about this earlier this year, so I wonder if you're in Australia - if you wish to sell it in this country (or export) you will need to be able to prove the age and obtain a certificate from CITES to that effect. You can find out more here.

Jasmin Key and peaceful vintage like this.
  7. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

As Nicole was saying even if you purchased the bag yourself in the 60s or 70s and it was not trade protected at that time elephant species are trade protected now.
    In order to offer it for sale at all you need to contact your local wildlife management authority to find out what, if any documentation will be acceptable to grant you a certificate of exemption to be able to offer locally.
    Should you want to sell internationally you will also need a permit from your country to export and a permit from the receiving country to import.

8. adam murphy

Thanks for the info and that is all well and good but im not paying for a permit which are not cheap if it is not worth anything so again with permit what would be a guess on value

9. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Adam as stated above no one here will give you a value online. Some experienced Auction houses may give you an online valuation, subject to inspection before consigning to them, but nearly anyone else will insist on seeing the item in person. I would suggest you contact an auction house that has sold similar exotic skin goods.

Jasmin Key likes this.
  10. adam murphy

Thanks thats is what i will do Auction house