Vintage Fabric from Estate Sale

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Barbara Eger-Klatt, Jun 24, 2024 at 4:15 PM.

1. Barbara Eger-Klatt

Barbara Eger-Klatt Registered Guest

Hi,

I am new and I'm learning how to sew clothes as a beginners. I love attending estate sales in my home area because I noticed they have vintage sewing items and sometimes fabric or vintage patterns. I brought two fabrics from one of the estate sales and I recognized one fabric as wool but I could not identify the cream fabric one. Is it possible to ask the fabric store if they may assess the fabric such as G Street Fabric in Montgomery County, Maryland or is there someone else who can assess the fabric? I checked the forum and someone mentioned appraiser? I am not certain if an appraiser would check the fabric without label? I want to make sure I identify the fabric for one of my vintage patterns I want to make. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Barbara,

One of us may be able to help you from photos, if you can post a few of the fabric. :)

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Welcome to the VFG Forums. I was writing this at the same time as Maggie - and agree that you should post photos. This will help you do that:

https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/faq-how-to-post-a-photo.52756/

You might want to look through our Fabric Resource on our website to become more familiar with fabric names.
    https://vintagefashionguild.org/resources/fabric/

All fabrics have two components - the fiber or fibers it is made from and the type of the weave or method of construction. Even solid color fabrics have both a fiber and a weave.

Rue_de_la_Paix likes this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree that photos will be very helpful. I think you will have luck asking here of our VFG members as many of us have good knowledge of fabrics, both vintage, antique, and newer.