1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage girls cape

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by drizzivtg, Jul 9, 2019.

1. drizzivtg

drizzivtg Registered Guest

Hi all
    Recently bought this from a local charity shop and I was wondering if anyone can help with who might have made it as there is only a care label in it and date it as I'm thinking possibly 1970s but I'm not sure. It came with a lovely peaked cap too. I guessed it as possibly the size for a young teenager when it was made

IMG_20190709_143251.jpg IMG_20190709_143302.jpg

2. Cute.

I see mid 60s. Looking forward to what others think.

3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I also think it is earlier than 1970's, perhaps even 1950's.
    Marian

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think it's early '60's - C.1963.

I did a search for Courtelle. It's an acrylic invented in the late 1950's in Great Britain. This information from "WikiPedia" :

In the late 1950's Courtaulds Ltd began investigating the production of an acrylic fibre later to be called "courtelle" by a process of solvent polymerisation

I also did a quick search for 1960's cape skirt suits and think it may have looked something like this when worn with a matching skirt:

[​IMG]

5. A 1968 girls Simplicity pattern #8072 shows a similar double breasted cape and also a dress that appears would be slightly shorter than the cape.

As a young girl - circa 64 to 66 (so long ago now!) - I had a coat with a matching dress and cap in plaid but in blues and greens.