1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage goodies from Vienna - first part

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

So I'm finally getting around to taking care of all the goodies I brought home from my new year's trip to Vienna. The brochure is in print and the worst of my work's "high season" should thus be over...

My friend and I scoured our usual secondhand/vintage haunts, and as usual, the Humana shops were good to me :).

bedjacket.jpg
    This must be the ultimative romantic bedjacket. 1960s I guess, Italian in any case, and I think NOS. It had the same italian labels as the NOS Italian nylon slip I bought last summer at Humana that still had the cardboard tag. They must have got a whole load of these pastel colored nylon lingerie from an old shop stock, as we saw the same slips and things at every Humana shop. But this jacket is unique! I've never seen anything like it before and I'm sure it will work with something in my wardrobe - I think it's too pretty to be seen only in my bedroom :hysterical:.

brocade top.jpg
    Cute lurex brocade blouse with buttons in the back. Very light, and certainly home-made, but quite well made, and just what I need for business trips to warmer climates. This will look nice with black pants or a black skirt for evening functions I think.

furhat1.jpg furhat2.jpg
    Fur hat. The inside looks rather home made to me. It fits and looks cute. I'll have to check out the fur resource and see if I can find out what it's supposed to be.
    hawaiidress3.jpg
    The "Hawaiian" wrap dress. 1980s, home-made, but again, very well made indeed. Light, lovely fabric. Fits me perfectly, I'll just remove the shoulder pads so it will look a bit less top-heavy. Another nice dress that will pack lightly for dinner functions etc.

hawaiidress1.jpg
    I like it better without the sash, to be honest. The design is very clever. There's another fabric-covered button at the other side of the waist to keep the wrapped-under part in place and a strategically placed snap at the neck opening :).
    hawaiidress2.jpg
    Closeup of the front - this design is so clever!

jewelry1.jpg
    Finally - jewelry! We also went to an antiques fair in the Ringstrassengalerie, an upscale mall in downtown Vienna. Every month there's an antiques fair on a Sunday. There was a lot of nice stuff, and lots and lots of costume jewelry. I got the green-white and green-brown brooches for a song, and the apple brooch is from Humana, though we saw the same at several stands at the fair as well! This must have been a popular design, and I think it's also much newer (80s?). The other two are definitely older, judging by their backs.

redgloves.jpg
    Cherry red tricot gloves! Just that splash of color for winter!

I'll post the last of my finds later (no, it's not over yet! :)). I had some five kilos more on the way back, thanks to all this. But Humana is also great for modern secondhand stuff, which is what they sell mostly. I picked up a cute coat by Milly New York for 42 Euros. When I checked the label out online... well, I realised I'd made a much better deal than I'd thought, though one could see that it was very well made.

Karin

AnnDemeu likes this.
  2. cozmicstar

cozmicstar Registered Guest

Lovely items, you sure sound like you had fun!

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Wow! what great finds.

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

fabulous selections again, Karin...that bed jacket is amazing, and i bet that green lurex will be especially incredible on you!! i STILL recall that lovely green floral dress that you posted with us so long ago...that was an absolute DREAM on you! thank you for sharing your treasures with us

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

You did well, Karin. I agree that bed jacket is very unique and I am sure you will find a great way to use it as summer top.
    Also, love the coloring of that 60s brocade top...so pretty especially so with your hair color!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us, it is always a pleasure to see these finds!