1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Hand Painted Brown Brooks Cafe Racer Johnson Motors Pasedena Triumph Leather Jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by jake ooley, Jan 20, 2014.

1. jake ooley

jake ooley Registered Guest

I just purchased this jacket and cannot find anything like it. The woman I bought it from said her dad was a collector of all things Triumph/cafe racer. Any help with estimating a value on this would be awesome. Thanks! [​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

That is indeed a very awesome jacket. We don't offer help with value here but if you have other questions about your jacket please ask and we will be happy to assist if we can.

3. jake ooley

4. joules

joules VFG Member

That's awesome.
    Could you show a close photo of the label please?

5. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Oh my gosh that is amazing. I would say 60s judging from the style and what I can see of the label.

Let me ask around - I have a lot of friends who are into vintage British motorcycles and the motorcycle racing culture.

6. jake ooley

Label

Attached Files:

7. joules

joules VFG Member

Glad Susan saw this; this is right up her alley!

Judging by the look of the label I'd go with 60s too.

8. northstarvintage

I am beyond obsessed with this jacket! Have you thought about contacting Johnson Motors to see who used the number 33? (Bud Ekins was 32- so close!).

9. peaceful vintage

There was a similar jacket sold on eBay previously however it was a Buco Steerhide leather jacket and they knew who the jacket belonged to. They had theirs listed as 50s 60s. I think what Susan said, finding out who used the number 33 could really be some great information to have.

Here is the link to the similar jacket that I found that was previously sold;
    Code:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-50s-60s-Buco-Steerhide-Leather-J-100-Cafe-Racer-Jacket-Sz-38-Talon-/131071789913?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item1e847ccb59&nma=true&si=73pKaK0XMqgrGeRziznzU4x3C+k=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

10. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Still trying to link it up correctly, but I found an Ed Kretz Jr. who used the number 33, was from California and rode a Triumph:
    http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/asp/museum/exhibits/heroesofharley/biopage1.asp?id=346

Johnson Motors begins life in 1940 when Bill Johnson (not the racer) and his business partner and financial manager Wilbur Ceder move their motorcycle shop to Los Angeles and rename it Johnson Motors. They were one of the first US Triumph dealers. In 1945 they move to Pasadena. Bill Johnson died in 1962 and Ceder takes over. In 1969 Johnson Motors is incorporated into BSACI (Birmingham Small Arms Company Incorporated).
    Info gathered from Ian Chadwick's history of Triumph motorcycles: http://www.ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/triumph/index.html

It would also appear Ed Kretz (both father and son) advertised for Johnson Motors:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1955-TRIUMPH-PRE-UNIT-MOTORCYCLE-BROCHURE-T100R-RACE-BIKE-ED-KRETZ-JOHNSON-MOTOR-/360754534055?nma=true&si=B%2B7ptf8Z1DyiXcr4c1xTYR23WPc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If the jacket did belong to Ed Kretz it would have to date from his professional career years (he used his father's number 38 prior to 1951?) and no later than 1969. He did go into the army for a while however until 1955 so it's likely to be between 1955-69.

Edit: According to their website Brooks only began around 1954. I'm slightly concerned by the fact the jacket was made or sold in Detroit, which is just about the furthest distance possible from Pasadena. I would contact Brooks to see if they have any records of supplying Triumph racers or indeed Ed Kretz jr. > http://brooksleather.com/brooksleather_m1/about/

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Great jacket and what a story you found, Melanie. I wonder if it could be his jacket?

He died just last year on a short motorcycle ride.

12. peaceful vintage

13. northstarvintage

This is so cool!

I don't think that the distance between Brooks and Pasedena would be a factor. The jackets were most likely sold via ad in the back of motorcycle magazines, as was most motorcycle gear. I know my friend Mike bought his Langlitz via an ad from a motorcycle magazine - he was in Mass and Langlitz was in Oregon.

I have a handpainted 60s Brooks jacket that I bought from Canada. It is my absolute favorite vintage possession.

bmwvincentsky.jpg

14. peaceful vintage

Oh my goodness Susan! You look like a total rock starlett! :clapping:

15. :hiya: Hi from Detroit!

Just a few points that you may or may not already know:
    -Your label states "Detroit, Mich." Two-letter state abbreviations (Mich. would be MI) first began in 1963, though that doesn't mean garment labels were immediately updated.
    -Brooks Leather Sportswear began business in 1953 and is still in business today. Perhaps they can help in firming the label date. http://brooksleather.com/brooksleather_m1/

Very cool jacket!

~Donna

16. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

What a fascinating thread! ......and you do look like a rock star biker chic Susan :)

Julia