1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Handmade Dress-Date?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lapoubellevintage, Aug 15, 2013.

1. lapoubellevintage

lapoubellevintage Registered Guest

Hello all! I'd love your help on this dress. When I bought it, I originally thought '40s but now I'm having second thoughts. It's definitely handmade and the material is cotton. It has metal buttons up the front and this tan woven trim, no other closures. Does anyone have thoughts? I can send construction shots if necessary also.

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

My first impression was that it's a costume for Maria in The Sound of Music - whether or not that was their intention?... the tan trim appears to be upholstery trim and the colours look 70's to me, but I can see how the print looks earlier so perhaps a bit more investigation is needed. Can you show some close ups of the trim, seams and how long is the skirt?

3. lapoubellevintage

Thanks Melanie! My thoughts exactly. It definitely has a folky vibe. Here are shots of the seams and trim. The skirt is 36 inches from the waist seam, it hits at about mid-calf on an average gal.

Attached Files:

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

you have some nice novelty buttons there - can you get an even closer shot of one of those? It looks like a dutch lady and man to me but I can't see what the scene is. This maybe hints at traditional national clothing?

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, a close-up of one of the buttons would be good! To me it looks like an Austrian dirndl, that was my first thought...

Karin

6. lapoubellevintage

Here's a button shot! It's a dancing couple but I'm not sure if they're Dutch or not...

Attached Files: