1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage hat style and date

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Matt Knowles, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Matt Knowles

Matt Knowles Registered Guest

Some friends donated this hat to our vintage clothing collection, they knew nothing about it and neither do we. I haven't been able to find other examples of this style of hat online, but I'm far from a hat expert, and I don't even know what to call this style, much less date it.

It is constructed of black velvet. It has a brown ribbon and bow that goes around the top. The ribbon might have originally been black too and faded to brown, as some of the velvet has.

It has two different types of feathers around the brim but I'm not sure what type of feathers they are.

If I had to guess I'd say it's from the 1940s but I really don't know. There's no label or maker mark on it. 20190822-Feather-Hat-2.jpg 20190822-Feather-Hat.jpg

2. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

1950's cocktail hat. Underneath is a placement cap. Hat is worn flat on the crown with the feathers coming over the forehead in the front. I can't tell what the brown feathery thing is in the front. Some experts will be along shortly.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree with the 1950s dating. Hard to tell 100% without a close up photo, but the ring of feathers appear to be some domestic fowl such as goose/turkey/rooster which have been chemically "burned" at the base to create that effect. The puff is ostrich. Not sure if the puff was added to the hat at a later date, but it looks possible that it was.

4. Matt Knowles

Matt Knowles Registered Guest

Thank you both for the help.