1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Jewelry Workshop - Part III

Discussion in 'Vintage Jewelry 2010 by Linn' started by Linn, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Congrats, Linn! This is a great workshop :adore:! I have passed on the links to a few more people who I think will find it just as informative!

Ah, dress/fur clips. That's what got my mum started with collecting vintage costume jewelery!

Here are my three humble clips:

[​IMG]
    The one on the left is from my mom. I love it's Art Deco look. The other two are quite small, and I have been wondering how old or new they are. I found them in a rummage box ("Everything $5") at a flea market/antiques fair. Lots of uninteresting stuff, but with a bit of patience and lots of deep digging, some small treasures could be found. The stones are quite beautiful, very glittery, and they dress up any sweater nicely - either solo or together, depending on my mood.

Here's a look at the backs of the clips:
    [​IMG]

Karin

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Lovely, Karin -

The larger one with the red stones is late '30's - very early '40's - Pre-WWII. It's Retro style rather than "Deco." (See Part IV.) The other two are earlier - probably early '30's - could be late '20's. Some of the fancy cuts like the triangular shape of the center stone in your clips were popular in the Art Deco period - starting in the '20's.

Linn

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, Linn! I admit, I haven't heard of Retro as in this particular style of design before - still getting used to it ;). And I'd have never though the smaller clips were that old. Great. The stones on the Retro clip aren't all in best condition as you can see, but those on the small ones are at their sparkliest best and look a million $$$ in the right light :bouncy:, which is why I love them so much, besides their versatility.

Karin

4. Linn

Just wanted to show a couple of non-vintage handbags with vintage pieces "pinned" on. The first is a Coro fur clip and the second is a Fischel-Nessler pin I showed earlier:

(This is an old scan so the quality is terrible!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's another shot of the brooch:

[​IMG]

The pieces do not "live" on the handbags. If you do this be very careful not to leave holes in the fabric....

Linn

5. bycin

bycin Guest

oooooh, dress clips. So THAT is what I have. I have a pretty one with all colors of stones and only one. Thought, "With I had the other shoe clip."

Now I know.

6. joules

joules VFG Member

Oh Linn, I am just revisiting here, to see the dress clips again, and will obtain that view of the bracelet. Please excuse my delay in reply.

7. joules

joules VFG Member

Here it is from the top, Linn. Sorry, not the greatest photo, but I hope it will assist.
    [​IMG]

8. Linn

It's stunning, Julie!

I "think" it's from the '50's but definitely inspired by the streamlined modern designs of Pre-WWII German designs. It could be German. Some of the German companies that started or re-opened after the war made pieces that were very similar in design to the Pre-War pieces.

Linn

9. joules

joules VFG Member

Linn, that is really great to know, as I have wondered about it for years. It is too small for my wrist these days (how does that happen anyway?) but I just love the industrial modern sleekness of it.
    Thank you.