1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Jewelry Workshop - Part V

Discussion in 'Vintage Jewelry 2010 by Linn' started by Linn, Oct 22, 2010.

1. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

Wow--Linn, that is fantastic! Thank you so much.

I love the earrings in the light sapphire color.

Thanks again for this awesome workshop.

Tiffany

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Thanks, Maggie -

I'm going to have to think about this and get back with a short list of books. I have over 80 books on jewelry both fine and costume not including fashion books that are about specific periods and have sections on jewelry. Some of the books are excellent and some are not. Not very many of the books give "tips" on how to date jewelry and almost every one of them has some errors. Not everything online is 100% accurate, either. Most people do the best they can with the source material they have.

Shortly after I got "really" interested in Vintage Costume Jewelry, I joined Jewelcollect, an online jewelry list. You might want to check into it. I also joined VFCJ - which is now defunct - but was a huge source of my jewelry education. They published four issues per year of a magazine called "Vintage" and had a bi-annual conference. Two members of VFCJ have started CJCI (Costume Jewelry Collectors International). Like VFCJ, there is a charge. CJCI is publishing a quarterly magazine and plans a convention next year. There are several members of JC who are VFG members. Carrie Pollack and I are both members of CJCI - not sure who else is.

Links to the above are:

http://www.jewelcollect.org/

http://www.costumejewelrycollectors.com/aboutcjci.htm

I am also a member of The Jewelry_Ring - a yahoo group but I have not been active on that list for awhile.

One of the very best ways to learn how to date jewelry is to study both fine and costume and to handle as much of it as you can. I frequently have private discussions about jewelry with friends I've made through the online forums. I visit fine antique jewelry shops on the Mainland and online because a great deal of costume jewelry was "inspired" by fine jewelry. You can learn a lot from visiting online fine jewelry estate auctions, too.

Linn

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Linn,

Right now I am so amazed by you that I can only utter a humble THANK YOU. Words cannot express the gratitude that I have for all you are sharing. I have collected costume jewelry since 1975 and all I know is that I don't know nearly as much as I thought I did! You amaze me.

Barbara

4. Linn

Barbara -

Thank you so much! I am constantly amazed by your knowledge of hats!!!

Linn

5. SusanSunshinesDaily

SusanSunshinesDaily Registered Guest

Thank you for such a fabulous work shop!!!!!!! I recently found myself helping to liquidate a large estate of vintage jewelry and admit I've fallen in love with the subject; what girly girl wouldn't? Am certain this will become a lifelong passion and one can certainly never know everything... am stumped by this pin which may be Art Noveau and or in that style, could you hedge a guess about it's heritage please? an4.jpg an5.jpg an6.jpg

6. Hi Susan,

Welcome to the forums! The best place for your question is the Public Q and A forum - would you like to repost there? Thank you.

7. SusanSunshinesDaily

SusanSunshinesDaily Registered Guest

Thanks for the warm welcome & will do:)

8. PhoenixSisters

PhoenixSisters Registered Guest

Wow. Thank you for this Linn, a real labour of both love and expertise. As I slowly begin to catalogue my grandmothers items and decide what I will sell/keep/etc. I will constantly refer back I know as well as checking out your other resources. Huge thanks. Also a really enjoyable read

9. Linn

PhoenixSisters and MagsRags like this.
  10. PhoenixSisters

PhoenixSisters Registered Guest

Thanks Linn, appreciate the updates which I will definitely make use of in addition to all the fab evergreen knowledge above. ☺️