1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Knitting Patterns

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Joji Furukawa, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

Does anyone else collect vintage knitting patterns? I'm almost finished this Aran sweater from 1967.

11356655_806347159481692_1047936993_n.jpg
    P8111602.JPG P8111604.JPG P8111606.JPG P8111607.JPG

Vintage patterns are really useful because they often reflect styles and colours of the decade. I just found 2 vintage WW2 knitting booklets one from Lux showing the popularity of the turban and the other from the Canadian Red Cross.

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Really impressive knitting. I have a collection of vintage knitting patterns I intend to put up for sale at some pont.

3. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

I enjoy using vintage knitting patterns. It is so nice to see the outcome. Yours is beautiful.

4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I am so impressed with your knitting skills!

5. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Beautiful work Joji!. I collect vintage knitting patterns in case I ever need them for theatre shows- even though I cant knit hello kitty emoti

6. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I have a number of 1960's and 1970's McCall's Needlework magazines which include patterns that need homes. Maybe at the next Mini sale.
    Marian

7. Joji Furukawa

Thank you all for your kind compliments! I just finished the collar last night so all I have to do is weave in the ends and I'm done!

P8231630.JPG

8. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Wow that pattern is no piece of cake - how long did it take you?

9. Joji Furukawa

Roughly 5 weeks on and off. I had a lot of time though because of summer vacation and the pattern is basically just repetition so it wasn't too bad.

10. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

Joji!

BEAUTIFUL handwork! Congrats on being an accomplished knitter. . . I love the color you chose!

I also love to knit and have a large collection of vintage patterns from the 1940s to 1980s. I have about 300 or so but can't think of parting with them, even though I have too many. The photos and creativity are so fashionable. If needed, I can usually date vintage knitting pattern books from the hairstyles of the models, as many knitted fashions are so classic, I feel the clothing doesn't go out of style.

I have made sweaters, hats, shawls, and tea cozies from vintage patterns. Also a baby blanket and a vest for my husband because he prefers vintage styling in his wardrobe, too. Isn't it fun to knit for someone you love, Joji?

Vintage patterns read differently, as I am sure you've noticed. Many things that are detailed in modern pattern writing were simply not included, back in the day, because it was assumed the knitter would know or could ask the person who taught them how to knit. Knitting was passed down in person more then, than today, where we can independently learn, in part due to wide-access to the internet. I am a self-taught knitter, myself.

My collection is a mix between styles I like and home fashions, but the bulk of my collection is of Yarns Brunswick pattern books. Since I "inherited" a large stash of my mother's Brunswick brand vintage yarn (she is still with us, however, no longer doing weaving on a loom), I began to collect the patterns for these specific vintage yarns. It's useful to see how the original yarns were used, as well as their colors/color names, weight and drape, etc., in photographs.

My current project is a stuffed "Mr. Kitty" as a birthday gift to my husband. Mr. Kitty is no longer with us, but still in our hearts and we miss him so much. Would love to see him sleeping on a chair around the house, so I decided to knit him up. I am going to embellish the finished knitwork with needle felting in order to get his markings really looking like him. I never tried needle felting before, but I did a test swatch and think it will look great for cat-fur-markings.

Click on this photo of the real Mr. Kitty for a link to see this project on my Ravelry project page:

[​IMG]

Nice to meet you, here on the VFG forum, Joji!

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Lovely job, Joji...I love the color you chose as well. That is an interesting project, Laurie, what a sweet kitty!

Joji Furukawa likes this.
  12. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

He was a first class charmer:

11-DSC09059(1).JPG

13. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Beautiful sweater - great work, Joji! I have some vintage patterns, with the intention to use them. So far I have made one 40s cardigan for myself, and have another one for me and a Mary Maxim for my cousin's little boy in the works. I usually knit in front of the TV, but right now it's just too hot to be doing anything much...

Joji Furukawa likes this.
  14. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Lovely sweater! I am not a knitter, but I do own one vintage knitting pattern book, the cover models are a hoot!

Attached Files:

jazzbug and Joji Furukawa like this.
  15. Sophia Noelle

Sophia Noelle Registered Guest

Wow, what beautiful knitting!
    Vintage knitting patterns are so cute. Can't wait to check out those patterns!