Vintage Lacoste label information, to trademark, no izod?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Aug 14, 2021.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

IMG_3944.JPG IMG_3944.JPG IMG_3951.JPG IMG_3952.JPG IMG_3953.JPG IMG_3954.JPG IMG_3955.JPG IMG_3956.JPG Hi all, I believe I have some very late 1970s Lacoste polo shirts from the mid/late 70s but nothing identifying in the label resource here. Though it might be one to add if we can get the right dating. It has the Norma Legge 1973 on the fabric label so must post date that, also Lacoste registered their trademark (sans Izod) in 1979. So I think we have a good dating of between 1973-1979.

However aparently Izod and Lacoste did not part ways till much later.

I am thinking that this label must have been when Lacoste started to use the label without Izod mention and before they registered their own specific trademark without Izod. I have found 70s adverts with both names being mentioned and also with just Lacoste.

If we could date it accurately maybe we could use it for the label resource? Pictures attached.

IMG_3942.JPG

Retro Ruth likes this.
  2. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Thanks so much for that :)

My only reason was because it was the one I found that dated after 1973 (which I looked for because of norma legge 73 info on the fabric label). It appeared that the registration is due to end in 2030? I am not very familiar with researching trademarks so any advice on this would be very helpful.

4. Vintagiality

I see ads for Chemise Lacoste with the trademark logo as early as February 1968 so I am not sure the trademark would help here. It is strange that a trademarked brand would not show that on the label. No R symbol anywhere on yours right?

GemGem likes this.
  5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Yes exactly no trademark at all. The only thing that I could think of was some kind of trademark issue when they parted with Izod, but seems unlikely now. I’m not sure if they had occasions to produce the line without the trademark? There’s certainly no issues regarding authenticity. Do you think the shape, style, slim fit, indicate 70s?

6. Vintagiality

Judging by the absence of the tumble dry symbol, it’s pre-1985 but having so many languages on the label always makes me think later than earlier years. Judging by some of the ads I looked at, I would guess late 70s or very early 80s. Something like 1978-1980 but I am definitely not an expert in this type of clothing.
    In those years I also did see ads with the trademark symbol missing.

GemGem likes this.
  7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

The collar looks quite pointy to me, too pointy for the 80s maybe? Late 70s would be my guess.

GemGem likes this.