1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage magnifier...maybe?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lori Ammons, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Lori Ammons

Lori Ammons Registered Guest

Suspect this is some type of vintage magnifier with a case for someone with poor eyesight. The name Luti Firenze is on line but mostly with other leather goods such as bags/jackets. Anyone have any idea what this is?

Attached Files:

2. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Firenza is Italian for Florence, the part of Italy it was likely made in. Known for it's high quality leather craft. I was going to suggest it stated Tuti as in 'all' in Italian but that's with two T's (tutti) unsure what Luti would be, perhaps a small town/area in Florence.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Have a look at this, perhaps from the same Luti:

Code:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Advertising-Florence-Italy-Silvio-Luti-Artiistic-Florentine-Leather-Goods-/153873018008
    Lori, I believe that you're right that it is a pocket (or desktop) magnifier.

Retro Ruth and GemGem like this.
  4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

5. Retro Ruth

Does it actually magnify? Otherwise it could be a simple paperweight.

6. Retro Ruth

And yes, Luti will be a Florence leather workshop - quite possibly the Silvio Luti that Maggie found that old advert for. There are many many leather goods makers in Florence, often quite small artisan businesses.

7. Lori Ammons

Lori Ammons Registered Guest

Ruth, yes the glass does actually magnify. It does look like those coin purses but is missing a snap and an inner pocket. I'll review some more. Thanks for the assist everyone!