1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Paris couture? Or made in the USA?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jo A Penn, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Jo A Penn

Jo A Penn Registered Guest

Hi all, I have acquired a pristine mink jacket. It was stored in a cedar closet for decades so I know it's vintage.

The label says "Schiaparelli Paris" - the label is in the neckline, not down the side as it would be if there were a middle man reseller, licensee, manufacturer, or dealer who, as I'm learning, would have had their label in the neckline.

As I started to research this jacket I began to believe that it must have come direct from the "maison de schiaparelli"in Paris sometime in 30's 40's or early 50's. It couldn't be later than 1954 because the house closed that year. (The lining is finely embroidered with "schiaparelli" and the "i" turns into a thread that goes into a needle. The name "Sarah Weiss" is embroidered into the lining as well.)

But I just now checked the pocket and there is a label inside that says it's manufactured using fair labor standards (see pix). From what I understand, this was a 1938 act in the US. Now I'm confused about where this jacket may have actually come from. Can any of y'all tell me if the "fair labor standards" label was used on furs from Paris as well?

Thanks so much.
    01e06e7587abcd55204426143b55a4eb1c0f00b6fb.jpg 015f591d1fadd2c8a3f97c68ffd0ee1a39d2ac8cc0.jpg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Schiaparelli's couture house closed but she then licensed her name, and the hot pink script label is the label that was created that year, so all coats, ties, hats, furs etc. with that type of label do not date before 1954.

Distantdetails likes this.
  3. Jo A Penn

Jo A Penn Registered Guest

Hi Jonathan, thanks so much for the reply. I didn't know when that particular label came out - thanks for this info!
    I did read that she was getting licenses in the US. What confuses me is seeing other Schiaparelli garments that have other furrier/shops etc. labels in the neckline with the Schiaparelli label on the side. There is no other label in my jacket. Was this common practice back then? To not put a label in of the shop actually selling or licensing it?

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Its quite possible another label was removed either at the purchaser's request or by the purchaser herself.