1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Purse Book question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by raincitytreasures, Feb 1, 2005.

1. raincitytreasures

raincitytreasures Registered Guest

Plastic Handbag Sculpture to Wear is a book by Kate Dooner about lucite handbags of the 50s and 60s. I see two editions available at Amazon. One is from 1997 and one from 2004. Is anyone aware of any differences, other than the updated price guide in the 2004 edition?

2. I haven't seen that one, but it sounds like one to add to my library!! Maybe Chris, our queen of purses, will be able to help you on that one.

And by the way... Welcome to the VFG!!

Cheers ~ Maureen

3. cosmiccowgirl

cosmiccowgirl Alumni

I only have the previous edition and haven't seen the newer one. In the earlier edition, there are a few errors and the price guide is out of control (although that's pretty common with collector books!) In my opinion, the best lucite purse book is A Certain Style: The Art of the Plastic Handbag. While there are fewer photos, it's visually stunning and very well researched. I think it's been out of print for about 10 years, but you can occasionally find it used on ebay or amazon. But both books are worthwhile to have if you're a collector.

If you have any specific lucite purse questions, I can probably answer them as I've been collecting them for almost 20 years and have an embarrassing number of them!

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Leigh (cosmic) is our resident expert on lucite purses, she definitely knows her stuf. I really don't have any in depth first hand knowledge about them. I just like them and I am learning. I know more about the leather, wooden, and other types of purses