1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage purse - Thundercats!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Roxanne, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Roxanne

Roxanne Registered Guest

Anyone know anything about the maker of this purse? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. It looks pretty modern: is Thundercats the designer? If you have a photo of the label it will help.

3. Nicole, Thundercats was a cheesy children's adventure cartoon series from the 80s. I never saw it as a kid (after my time), but my kids have seen it in reruns. The theme song is kind catchy...

4. Thanks Liza! I did a search on Thundercats, and that explains why I found lots of things, but no handbags (or rather nothing like this).

5. And now, of course, I've got that crazy theme song stuck in my head. Just the part that goes: "Thunder, thunder, thunder, thunder CATS!!"

6. Thanks Liza - I don't know the TV show, we may not have got it here in Aus.

7. Not a major loss, Nicole, LOL...

8. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

I know a little bit about Thundercats. I know, it was cheesy, but a dear, dear lifelong friend of mine was one of the two writers who originally created it. Stephen Perry was working on Thundercats on his drawing board when we were friends back in the 1980s. He made a good deal of money from it over time. Stephen was a special person, really a big kid himself, at heart. He was ill with bladder cancer when he was murdered by roomates, in 2010. I'm still saddened and shocked by all of that. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Perry_(writer)

I haven't seen this purse before but I would guess it was probably a promotional piece, or maybe something created just as an insider gift for the comic book or tv executives. There is probably a very specific collector for it out there somewhere.

Jen

9. No way, Jen! That is both so cool and so horribly tragic. I'm sorry for your (our) loss. And for the record, cheesy or not, we've seen a whole lot of Thundercats around here.

10. Oh, Jen, I'm sorry to hear about your friend: that's awful. Presumably there's an upcoming court case for the people who are charged with his murder. I hope that justice is achieved.

11. morning-glorious

There were arrests made in 2010 but I've never heard what happened with the trial. This post reminded me to look into it, and I have a friend contacting the Florida newspapers about the matter to see what we can find out. Plus, it is a weird coincidence because Stephen has been in my thoughts a lot lately. :(

Jen

12. Coincidence? I think not.

13. ...I LOVED the Thundercats!!!! It was a favorite in my house

14. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I had never heard of Thundercats but I too have a handbag with this motif and the otherday I just caught the listing on tv, though the programme had finished so I never got to see it! Will go dig out that bag now...

15. MissRita

MissRita Guest

The ThunderCats logo is totally different from the one on this bag. I loved the series btw, - Lion-O... :wub:

Very tragic story Jen, may Stephen Perry RIP. :(

16. KristynaBlue

KristynaBlue Registered Guest

it does have a fleeting similarity to a Cartier style knock off cartier2.JPG

17. cozmicstar

cozmicstar Registered Guest

What an awful story, sorry Jen :( I adored Thundercats as a kid, I still have fond memories of it now, more so than any other cartoon (we used to make a thundermobile from the sofa and coffee table ahem!)

18. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

19. morning-glorious

I found out his accused killer has been held, pending trial, for over 2 years. Still no court case is scheduled yet. It's totally weird, but at least the guy is in custody. Have to admit, Stephen would love the weirdness of it all...Nothing thrilled him more than a dark and twisted drama, which is what his life actually became. Hopefully someday soon, justice will be served.