1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage shopping in Vienna...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I have been Vienna again for a few days last week :). My friend and I went through all our usual thrift shops and also managed some small flea-markets on Sunday (nothing exciting except their interpretation of the word "vintage" being 80% H&M etc. fashions of the last 15 years...). Our usual favourite Humana shops did not disappoint though and I bought lots of stuff for the coming autumn/winter (including two modern cashmere sweaters - one of them a Genny no less!).

Here's just a few quick shots of the haul:

black60sdress.jpg
    Black dress - I think early 60s. Side metal zip, shaped 3/4 length sleeves, two big buttons on the front of the top, big inverted pleat in the front of the skirt, skinny belt made from the same fabric. Sorry, it doesn't photograph very well, but it's quite cute and versatile. Home-made I think, and the fabric probably has some synthetic content.

burgundy40sdress.jpg
    Embroidered burgundy red 40s crepe dress, side metal zip, big shoulder pads. Looks a little crumpled right now, but it's a beauty and almost flawless.

grey50sjacket1.jpg
    Grey wool jacket - 50s I think. Beautifully made, even has a spare button attached on the inside!

grey50sjacket2.jpg

leopardcoat.jpg
    Leopard print coat, no idea how old it is. Homemade for sure, and with a fun red quilted lining that made me think more of a housecoat. Who knows... I'll wear it as a winter coat anyway, it's so much fun!

leopardcoat2.jpg

lightbrownboots.jpg
    Light brown unworn 70s Italian leather boots - just the shape I like!
    taupeboots.jpg
    Taupe late 70s or early 80s Italian leather boots - also unworn. I loooove boots, so getting these two pairs in one shop was like... :jawdrop:
    yellow80sjacket1.jpg
    Cropped mustard yellow 80s jacket - this is just so much fun! Haven't been able to fin out much about the label - it seems to have been part of a bigger conglomerate of brands owned by a German textile company.

yellow80sjacket2.jpg

leeskirt1.jpg
    High-waisted Lee Jeans mini skirt - 80s I guess. Made in France! I don't know when I last saw a jeans garment that was made anywhere in western Europe...
    leeskirt2.jpg

Karin

2. joules

joules VFG Member

Wow! Score city! Great selections, all, and very useful wardrobe items.
    That 40s burgundy dress is to die for.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm with Julie on that one....love it:wub:

I am sure you will get a lot of use of the simple gray jacket, you can have fun dressing that up with jewelry and scarves!

The leopard coat is quite fun as well...and those two pair of "unused boots" that's quite a score!

Thanks for sharing your finds, Karin...always a treat for us to see you here.

4. Midge

5. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Wow- what a haul Karin- lucky you! I Love that leopard coat, and that Lee skirt is fabulous too!

6. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Midge, those are spendid.
    The jacket I bought in Vienna has an Absolut label. Have you seen that label?

I'm off to Prague in about 10 days. I didn't buy much in Vienna but your suggestions were helpful.

Best, Claire

7. Midge

No idea about Absolut. Does it say anything else?

Humana shops are a total roulette game, you can get lucky or not, you never know. The 40s dress came from their "retro" shop, the grey jacket too. That's the first time I got lucky with a vintage jacket in any of these shops. Where I got the boots is the other one where I got so lucky last year. I also plucked a 50s black dress off a rack there, but it just didn't look good on me and was in general not too exciting. The "look for side zipper"-strategy with a big rack full of dresses is a good one though, because the way they hang them, the side zip is usual on the side where one is looking :). The coat is from a new secondhand shop in Burggasse - nothing much older than 20 years, but some really fun pieces in there. A huge space, big windows, white walls and clothes arranged by color - looks really good. The jeans skirt and yellow jacket came from a Humana in the outer suburbs. I still get to know new places in Vienna every time I go. Oh, and I now know a real watch maker there. He mostly restores clocks, and not just your grandfather clocks, but big ones on church towers etc. too - and the "Anker Uhr": http://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/sights/from-a-to-f/anker-clock

Have a good time in Prague - this is one place I will still have to go!

Karin