1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Stetson Hat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Nick Verette, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Nick Verette

Nick Verette Registered Guest

Hi all!

Came across this old Stetson hat recently and have Done quite a bit of research about it but I'm wondering if someone on here could tell me a bit more about it! Ideally I'd like to know the following:

- Year it was made
    - Hat Style
    - Rough idea if it's value

Here's what I know as it is labeled on the hat:

- It says John B Stetson Company 3X Beaver
    - It says "Shelden's Mens Wear (city is rubbed out) Kansas"
    - It says XXX Stetson
    - The tag says 7 3/8 Long Oval, and the back of it says United Hatters Cap & Millinery WKRS Int Union Registered
    - inside the brim behind the sweatband has the number 13 written in white chalk
    - the hat and band is in excellent condition aside from being a bit dirty. The band is genuine great condition leather, not sure of the metal type for the band.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

3. Nick Verette

Thanks! My mistake on value. Let's see what else we can find out!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

I agree it is a great looking hat. The style is today commonly referred to as a "Billy Jack" hat, named after the character in the 1970s movies. In older days it was often called an "Indian Joe" style hat.

Hard to determine the age of this from the photos, it looks vintage but not antique. If you can look up the store where it was purchased to see if it is still in business that might give you some clues.

The hat is a good larger head size at 7 3/8 and is a long oval. Both of these will make the hat more desirable which effects the value in a positive way.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  5. Nick Verette

Great info! That's super interesting, definitely provides some direction. From what I can tell the union tag suggests it was made between 1932-1960. There isn't a single record of Shelden's Men's wear that I can find, which I think makes it all the more cool - Not to mention Shelden with an E is a unique spelling.

Retro Ruth likes this.