1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Thrift Treasure Find Help Dating Please 30's-40's?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Oct 16, 2018.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Wow! I just found this most beautiful jacket in a local thrift store, I am totally IN LOVE with it.

It's definitely a keeper!

Would really love some help with dating it, my best guess it that it is 30's-40's but I wouldn't be surprised if it's earlier or later.

There is a chiffon type fabric (not silk) for the lining but not sure if it is the original lining. The main fabric looks to be a vertical gold lame stripe with bright colour horizontal short stripes likely silk (even brighter on the inside as it has faded with time).

Shaped collar which is notched to the sides and back. I had a look at the inside as it is weighted to the hem and the weights look like lead buttons with two central button holes. There is some what looks like a brown silk taffeta to reinforce parts of the structure inside the lining. Also som soft black fabric under the shoulders and an extra piece of black frilled fabric internally for the shoulders -No Foam at all! haha.

Lots of glass buttons to front and an overall fairly straight style to the body. The shoulder have little puffs to them and are not tight. They have little shaped fold over cuffs.

Please let me know if anything else will help date it. Can't wait to hear from anyone kind enough to respond.

thumbnail_IMG_4537.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4529.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4533.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4534.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4536.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4536.jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is lovely, it looks 1930s to me. I can just see it with the matching bias cut gown!

foofoogal and GemGem like this.
  3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I want to shop where you shop! :drooling22:

4. For the Love of MCM

For the Love of MCM VFG Board Member

I think it also looks late 30s into the very early 40s because of that specific style of puff and the buttons and front cut of the bodice. I once had a late 30s early 40s 2 piece pink soutache set that had the same basic bottom hem cut and buttons up the front as well as the same puff shoulder. Very cool find!

GemGem likes this.
  5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I really, really love it. I took a couple of pictures wearing it though and realise the length of it really doesn't flatter my petite size. :( it cuts into my hips visually and seems a little big... *cries*

I thought of wearing it with a belt but unsure how that would work with all the buttons, heres a couple of pics... any suggestions? I'm worried about altering it as the fabric is really quite delicate and it already has some damage and fixes.

Photo on 16-10-2018 at 13.44.jpg Photo on 16-10-2018 at 13.44 #2.jpg

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It might look quite different with the right skirt under it. Maybe you could just do two back tucks to taper it some to your waistline.

GemGem likes this.
  7. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Or perhaps worn open with a camisole or tank top underneath, belted there to define your waist?

GemGem likes this.
  8. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

This is so beautiful!!

I am also petite and I love wearing larger jackets open in a casual kind of way. I would wear this with a black fitted tank dress and tights. Again, so pretty!!

GemGem likes this.