1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vtg LL Bean Sanforized Shirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by RustySpurVintage, May 29, 2013.

1. RustySpurVintage

RustySpurVintage Registered Guest

When I found this, at first I saw the cursive LL Bean label and thought, "oh...that's just a contemporary shirt with a retro label." Then I noticed that the collar points were too long. So I took a closer look and was shocked to see the union label stamped near the bottom front hem. Not only that, but the stamp said, "Sanforized." I've never seen this kind of stamp except for on shirts from the 50s. Does anyone here know much about vtg LL Bean (Orvis, Lands End, etc...)?

Thanks so much for your time!

Adam

Attached Files:

2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Hi Adam!

I am in LL Bean territory (Maine) and though I am hardly an expert, I do come across quite a few vintage LL Beam items. I believe that cursive tag was used from around the 60s up until the late 70s or early 80s. The earlier 50s label was black with a gold signature (and I have confirmation on this from the LL Bean Company when I had a really cool hunting jacket with this label and wanted to be sure of its age).

It's so hard to date menswear, especially from Beans, who made the same style for years on end, so I think this could be from the 60s or 70s.

It's a great find - Bean's stuff is quite desirable!

RustySpurVintage likes this.
  3. RustySpurVintage

Hi, Susan. Thanks! I'll have to keep an eye out for those black with gold signature labels. That would be quite a find!

4. RustySpurVintage

Susan~ You don't have a picture of that black and gold label do you? I can't find a label resource for LL Bean on the VFG. We could send them a couple of pics.

5. crapshootcorner

crapshootcorner Registered Guest

So, I found this old LL Bean hunting vest with gold cursive logo on a black tag with rear game pouch and moon shaped game pockets on the chest. Does anyone have any dating info on such a thing?

6. northstarvintage

It sounds like an older piece. Could you post a photo of the vest and the tag?

7. northstarvintage

And Adam, here's a photo of the vintage label (sorry - I didn't see your post until just now).

beanplaidtan.jpg

8. DelPrince

DelPrince Registered Guest

I found a nice pair of L.L. Bean wool pants, very heavy material. black with thin red striping. They have suspender buttons with L.L. Bean and a star engraved on them. But what I'm asking about is the label, it has cursive letters but does not have the "INC." on it it has a "TM" instead and I have not seen this before. Does it have any significance? as to what era they might be?

Attached Files:

9. EmilyJewel

EmilyJewel Registered Guest

Do any of you have an idea where I can see their Vintage label resource ? I have this older LL bean sweater and was wondering how old it is.

Stacey830 likes this.