1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted: Vintage Lots/Wholesale Vintage

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by plushdesign, Feb 6, 2008.

1. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

Yes, I will be getting a shopping cart eventually, I think. When my techy hubby can help with the coding. So far it's worked out ok with the email thing.

As for print, you have to apply the same principles of marketing for yourself as you would for a client. It helps that hubby does the business side, as a part of his accounting and tax/bookkeeping business. We supply lots of things for the small businessperson. We've done a local trade show, direct mail, newspaper advert etc. For the most part, I am finding that offering customer service and a quality product are really helping!

2. plushdesign

plushdesign Registered Guest

Hello everyone! Thanks for all the great advice. I will use it wisely!

I've marketed my work to some extent but I'm so busy with my job that I hardly ever follow through. My husband says to always follow through with the potential customer. I have done some mailings. I have a portfolio at portfolios.com that has helped.

3. plushdesign

Hi Kristine,
    Thanks for the news about SoCal. All the beautiful dresses I've seen seem to be sold from someone in California. I always wanted to move back. All my family live in the southern california area. Since I've lived in Mo I have come to appreciate different climates like seasons!! Even snow. I look forward to fall when the leaves change color. We live right by two huge lakes, so in the summer theres always lots of things to do, like going out on the boat.

I'm hoping vintage hunting will turn out to be rewarding. I'm doing a lot of research on everything involved before opening my business online. Most importantly to me I'm so excited!! Really thanks for helping me realize how lucky I am to live in the middle of nowhere. My friends in L.A. have no idea what extends beyond California, really!

4. wyomingvintage

wyomingvintage VFG Member

As for inventory I was poking around he web yesterday and I saw that Sydneys Vintage Clothing is doing some wholesale. Might be something to check in to.
    I've heard nothing but good things about that dealer and she's been a round a while. Fabulous well maintained site too. Might be something to look in to. If you go to the FAQ area on her site way down that page is the info about wholesale and the contact info. Hope that makes sense :)
    Maybe that will be of some help to you.
    good luck

5. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Hi Kameron, and welcome! I don't know a good single wholesale source for vintage, but I'll echo some of what's been said. I've found that, in my area, estate auctions (they don't do estate sales here, they're all auctions) are a great source for things like vintage bags, costume jewelry, hats, scarves, gloves, etc. I've bought some in box lots and have turned up some very nice pieces very reasonably. I also sell other vintage stuff like linens, porcelainware, etc., so I probably get more out of the box lots than someone looking only for vintage clothing items. I've not had any luck contacting local auctioneers about clothing; most of them don't handle clothing from estates; that's been disposed of--usually to the thrifts--by the time the auctioneer gets the estate. The local thrifts here are still a fairly decent place to pick things up, but you have to look constantly and be careful of what you buy (dirty, stained, ripped things).

I've had mixed luck on eBay buying wholesale lots, but if you're buying from a seller with great FB and you set a price per piece beyond which you simply will not bid, you can do pretty well on them.

I may have some overstock myself in the next few months. I purchased a huge estate almost 2 years ago (!), and still have not finished sorting through it. I don't think I'm going to have time to sell it all individually, and may sell off small lots of the stuff that doesn't fit my core interests. The entire estate is 50s, 60s, and 70s. I won't know for a while quite what I'll be doing. We moved a few months ago, and I'm still not put together enough to start in full scale on sorting and listing yet, but if you will U2U me w/your contact info, I'll let you know.

6. plushdesign

Hi Everyone,
    So I dropped off the face of the earth for a week. My internet went down and I was unable to get it back on for about a week. My husband was gone to a trade show and tried to help me over the phone. When he got back he got it back on in five minutes. Oh well, I tried.

Thanks for all the advice. I will check into Sydney's. I've been there before but I didn't know she offered wholesale. I look at ebay lots but I haven't made a commitment on anything yet. Kameron

7. SpeeeedyJ

SpeeeedyJ Registered Guest

Well, I have a vintage lot... and very funny because I'm a graphic / web designer, too! But I just happen to have vintage clothing from the family, not collecting. After I find out what everything is worth, I may let it all go for less, if you want it.

Old hats, cloches, mink coat / shawl, wool sweaters... interested?

I also just happen to be in San Diego, CA... :P

--Jim---

8. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about -- and if so, that seller pays quite a premium for the items she sells. Most of us couldn't make a profit paying as much as she does. She buys from me & other sellers and also buys quite a bit online.

Good luck!