1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weiss pansy brooch - questions

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by zannew, Oct 17, 2010.

1. zannew

zannew Registered Guest

Hello,

I purchased this white pansy brooch signed by Weiss, at an estate sale. I do not know much about it. I have seen other similar brooches on-line (none all white though) that mention japanning. I would like to know what that is, and whether this brooch is japanned. I would like to describe it correctly in order to sell it. Any other info. would be helpful as well. Thank you very much!

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Zannew -

I've had that brooch in lime green with rhinestones - not milkglass! I have had other Weiss pieces with black and white japannng and remember a discussion on one of my jewelry lists that japanning can be done in many colors. True japanning is a finish - usually black and smooth like enamel but it can be done in other colors. I've even seen pink!

I sold this awhile ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Linn

3. zannew

zannew Registered Guest

Thank you for your reply. That green brooch is beautiful! I didn't even realize that what I had was milk glass, but now that you said it, it does look like that. I was wondering what the "stones" were made of. Thanks!