1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welcome to the HATS OFF TO THE VFG Fall Fundraiser!! New incentive & contest!!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC VFG News - Announcements and events' started by denisebrain, Nov 11, 2023.

1. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

2nd from left raising her glass and I would say 1960.

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

You found my grandmother! But not the year, which was written on the back of the original photo.

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

While you contemplate the year of Maggie's photo, here's a little update: We have had two more wonderful donations, one from a member, and one from a non-member—and we have breached the $900 mark!
    Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 6.46.16 PM.png

27.gif Thank you and please keep it coming!

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 12.55.58 PM.png

4. denisebrain

Nothing since yesterday, and our nails? Non-existent!

If you know anyone who would be able to spare $5, please, this is the time.

I'm going to go see what I can do—please, will you help us?

giphy-5.gif

5. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

Lovely photo. 2nd from left and 1963?

6. MagsRags

We have a winner!! Yes and Yes. The lady in the black bucket hat (to be fair, they are almost all wearing bucket hats) second from the left, and the year was 1963.

Thank you all for playing. Off to donate that extra $10 to the VFG right now,

7. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

Yaaay! :)

denisebrain likes this.
  8. denisebrain

OK then, how about another challenge? tip my hatI'll throw in another $10 if you can accurately guess what year this photo comes from, and what relation am I to the woman standing to the left, head turned.

Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 1.40.46 PM.png

9. BlackLotusVintage

BlackLotusVintage VFG Board Member Staff Member

My guess- 1929, great grandmother

denisebrain and MagsRags like this.
  10. denisebrain

Nope and nope. You're probably closer on the date. Hint: This is in Minot, North Dakota, but they are fairly stylishly dressed for the time.

BlackLotusVintage likes this.
  11. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

1928 - Your great great aunt.

12. MagsRags

We have just two days left of this fundraiser, and I am about to sweeten the deal.

I am offering this hardcover copy of Constance Talbot’s 1943 book The Complete Book of Sewing. Anyone who donates $10 or more in the next two days will be entered into a drawing for the book, shipped free via media mail anywhere in the U.S.
    IMG_8204.jpeg

It is one of my all-time favorite vintage fashion reference books - luckily I own two copies, because I would never give up mine. You can read my review and see some of the wonderful illustrations in my blog HERE.

13. denisebrain

Closer, and closer! One hint: You are right about the 'aunt' part!

Very cool item to offer Maggie!! ❤️

We are almost to the half way mark, and I believe it is fair to say that unless we have some sort of huge, unexpected help, we might just break $1,000 by midnight tomorrow, not reach our goal. And you know? That would still be wonderful!! We have had many generous donations from our members, and some from non-members too, and I'm sure we have created some awareness for the VFG. So we'll be celebrating no matter what!

The latest video I've shared, and the spiel to go along. You're most welcome to share! (click to view)

Screenshot-2023-11-18-at-10.49.35-AM.jpg

The VFG continues to offer a wealth of information for the benefit of the public. This is what we have chosen to do, sharing our resources for the greater good, but our technology expenses are growing and members' dues do not cover them.

If you think the VFG deserves a tip of the hat for what it offers, please support our mission with a donation at the following link: bit.ly/vintagefashionguild

Our fundraiser will end on November 19 at midnight, and we have only raised half of our $1900 goal. If you can't make a donation, will you please share? Many thanks!

Please note that the VFG is a 501(c)6 nonprofit and as such, donations are not tax deductible.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
  14. denisebrain

Oh my Goodness!!!!! We have received a super generous donation from a member! As well as another from a non-member! We are now passed the halfway mark to our goal!
    Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 12.37.23 PM.png

In honor of our most recent donation and the state in which she lives...
    Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 12.31.20 PM.png

15. denisebrain

Maggie, it looks like your book has been adopted by our most recent member donation!

Still waiting for the year of my photo! And anyone care to take another guess at my relationship to the woman standing on the left?

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  16. BlackLotusVintage

Great great aunt, 1927

17. denisebrain

Nope, sorry! You're closer on the date, but not on the type of aunt.

A hint: We have long generations in our family. Vintage jalopy

BlackLotusVintage likes this.
  18. BlackLotusVintage

Abraham Lincoln's Top Hat
    National Museum of American History

At six feet four inches tall, Lincoln towered over most of his contemporaries. He chose to stand out even more by wearing high top hats. He acquired this hat from J. Y. Davis, a Washington hat maker. Lincoln had the black silk mourning band added in remembrance of his son Willie. No one knows when he obtained the hat, or how often he wore it. The last time he put it on was to go to Ford’s Theatre on April 14, 1865.
    After Lincoln’s assassination, the War Department preserved his hat and other material left at Ford’s Theatre. With permission from Mary Lincoln, the department gave the hat to the Patent Office, which, in 1867, transferred it to the Smithsonian Institution. Joseph Henry, the Secretary of the Smithsonian, ordered his staff not to exhibit the hat “under any circumstance, and not to mention the matter to any one, on account of there being so much excitement at the time.” It was immediately placed in a basement storage room.
    The American public did not see the hat again until 1893, when the Smithsonian lent it to an exhibition hosted by the Lincoln Memorial Association. Today it is one of the Institution’s most treasured objects.
    Transfer from the War Department with permission from Mary Lincoln, 1867

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. denisebrain

very-rare-color-photo-of-abraham-lincoln-joe-dator.jpg

And now we have had one more lovely member's and one more lovely non-member's donation and we have broken $1,000! Thank you!!!!

Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 4.37.55 PM.png

20. denisebrain

I woke up to see two more fantastic donations from members!! Thank you both so much!!

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 8.36.31 AM.png

It's important to keep perspective... whether we reach 100% or 60% it's all WONDERFUL! Thank you!!

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 12.35.05 PM.png