1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Wendy's Coat" from Purple Rain

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Michael Lesko, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Michael Lesko

Michael Lesko Registered Guest

Hi!

I know very little about fashion and I really need some help with this one. The image below links to a picture of an 80's performer's coat/jacket. I know this was custom made but it was based off of an existing "type" of garment I'm sure. I'm trying to find something as close as possible to this.

Important notes...

1) doesn't need to have fur lined.
    2) doesn't need to have only one arm

Is the pattern a clue to the ethnicity and period of the coat? Is the coat style a clue? Any information is GREATLY appreciated!

Here is the link to view the coat/jacket and it's also attached.....

http://www.LeskoFolio.com/images/wendy_jacket.jpg

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

Looks like it was made from jacket from India going by the cut of jacket

3. Michael Lesko

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is what I thought as well, very sort of Bollywood styling. Silk brocade from India.

5. I agree with Mary Jane. The Purple Rain jacket looks similar to a sherwani or achkan (there seems to be some debate on how these two items differ, I'll leave it up to you to research further), which are men's formal garments.

[​IMG]

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  6. Michael Lesko

Thank you all SO much for your help! I greatly appreciate it. If you could spare another indulgence here - just another question or two - on another piece of clothing, I would really appreciate it!

With your help, I was able to identify and purchase a great coat that I'll have customized for our "Wendy" in the band. I would like to get your option on another one of her outfits (she needs to have two). It's this jacket shown here.. (or attached).

From my research, this is a satin or silk vintage 80's crop blazer. I was able to locate something very similar on eBay. My question is in regards to the tan stripes that have been added to the jacket with the pewter buttons ( I think that's correct). Are "strips" of material like that sold already with finished edging? If so is there a name for that product? Also, was there a name for the "collar" that she's wearing? Perhaps that was a style in the 80's?. Or perhaps it's just the collar chopped off of a tan parka or trench coat?

Any information is greatly appreciated!!

Michael

Attached Files:

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

The strips might be a satin ribbon with the buttons sewn on?

8. Michael Lesko

Thanks, do you think that ribbon is only being held on by the buttons or do you think it's been sewn on or, I don't know, is there fabric adhesive?

9. It's a bit hard to tell from the photos but it looks like webbing (cotton or nylon) strips that are riveted to the jacket. It wouldn't be too hard to do but it would ruin the jacket for later use, lol! Webbing comes in all sorts of colors. The photo I posted is cotton webbing but I think it looks more like nylon webbing on the jacket in your photo. Supplies can be purchased at Joann's or some other sewing/hobby place.

webbing1.jpg rivets1.jpg