1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what are these button things called? date?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by eel, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

Wow! Eel got one that's just like the one in the book! How cool is that!

2. eel

eel Registered Guest

HEY that is cool!
    Thanks so much for posting that page Mary Catherine!!! it also dates them earlier than I thought

3. APrizeEveryTime

APrizeEveryTime VFG Special Friend

Gads, I didn't even notice the one that matches yours (although yours has a green inset, the one in the book is blue). It says (if you can't make it out), that it's made of celluloid, circa 1880-1910.

4. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Wow, you've got a cloak clasp that's a book piece--bingo!

5. avamac

avamac Alumni

Wow, earlier than I thought, too....but it does make sense, given all those cucoon wraps and the Frenchy early Deco thing.

6. eel

eel Registered Guest

First off let me say that I live in So. California and to find anything really old is a shock to me!
    But I must have some kind of cosmic luck with these because while posting the haul, I remembered I had bought a baggie of parts at a garage sale I stumbled across about a year ago and had even then planned to make them into necklaces, so I looked in one of my "to fix" boxes of jewelery and here they are.
    I think I only paid a couple dollars for the baggie. Now I really gotta get off my butt and make something out of the cloak clasps!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Thanks for posting the closeups--so nice to see the detail!

The peacocks on the gold/brass set with the white stones are just glorious... :wub:

8. atticville

atticville Alumni

Lots o' replys(Cant read if they/ hope someone told you celluloid.... I would say: pre 20's(way pre 20's) to Victorian. FABU!!& ART NUEVUEU

9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

10. Fishstique

Fishstique Registered Guest

I havent visited this forum in a while, and surprised to see this thread! OMG eel why didnt you tell me about these!!!! They are so incredibly Art Nouveau. FANTASTIQUE

I am drooling and I think palpatating as well

Where were you when you found this pile o' treasure???

11. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

http://www.tias.com
    http://www.rubylane.com

I may be out of line here and these are yours to do whatever with but you may want to go to these antique malls and type in coat clasp or even take them to a jeweler first to get checked out.
    As an antique dealer I am drooling here.

12. DeCoDiVa

DeCoDiVa Registered Guest