1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What era is this felt hat from and what is the fur?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Elen Beattie, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Registered Guest

Hello! I am pretty new to vintage clothes (I'm better with jewelry and purses!) and was hoping you could tell me the age of this hat is relation to style? Also what type of fur do you think it is? It is not in great shape but I just had to rescue it for $1 in an antique mall junk box. The label was glued back on but it was just stitched at one point. My guess is 1960s but unsure-is it considered a pill box hat? Thanks so much!

image8 (31).jpeg image7 (38).jpeg image2 (52).jpeg image9 (24).jpeg image6 (48).jpeg image3 (53).jpeg image4 (52).jpeg

2. Can you point out where the split is in the inner fabric band is, inside the hat? The split would normally indicate the back of the hat.
    I am having a hard time with the shape since it isnt on a head form.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yes, I also see 1960s, maybe late 50s but the shape is a little hard to define. I would go with early 1960s as that mink trim was so popular then.

The fur on the trim is mink, probably a tail. Not sure if the hat itself is a fur felt, or a wool felt with a felt finish. Odd the way the felt is nubby or pilled on top, not something you see with fur felts generally. Maybe it is wool.

Elen Beattie likes this.