1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of glitter fabric is this? - Any help greatly appreciated!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by bbp123123, Nov 9, 2017.

1. bbp123123

bbp123123 Registered Guest

Hello,

I am interested in making a bomber jacket out of the following material but am not sure if it has an official name. I have tried searching using terms like "glitter fabric" and "glitter leather fabric" but the results seem too inflexible and rigid to make a jacket out of. Perhaps I am wrong?

Any help is definitely appreciated. Thank you!

112sloanecgf_black_anglepair.jpg

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I think that is exactly the problem - this is not material for clothing. The kind of material you mean is what you usually see on these glittery shoes or maybe also belts - the glitter is kind of glued on, and it's relatively stiff. Good for shoes, but not for clothes. I don't think there is fabric that is that much covered in glitter that would be flexible enough for clothes - and sewing it would also be very difficult.

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think you could be thinking of lurex which is a fabric with a metallic finish. If you do a search for Black Lurex fabric many images come up and some options to purchase the fabric. I also saw it referred to a "tinsel" fabric while searching.

Karin is correct that the material the shoes are made from is not flexible enough to sew.

Good luck!

4. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

There was a fabric called cracked ice that has lots of glitter. It was used primarily for evening wear but I haven't seen it for years.

5. bbp123123

bbp123123 Registered Guest

Thank you all for the help. I will take a look at the suggested fabrics and let you know how it goes.