1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What year do you think is this dress from?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by MilanaKukla, Aug 4, 2018.

1. MilanaKukla

MilanaKukla Registered Guest

Purchased this beautiful organza fil coupé jacquard dress from a local vintage shop. The dress doesn't have labels and looks like it has been taken in at the waist and stitched up throughout the years.

I have no idea what year this dress is from but if I absolutely had to guess I'd say 1960s? maybe... I haven't researched it yet but would love to read comments if you could tell me something about this dress.

Thanks in advance!
    Milana

IMG_4082.jpg IMG_9145.JPG IMG_4081.jpg IMG_1734.JPG

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

It looks like Indian sari silk and there was a fashion for Western style dresses made from these silks in the 60s. Someone here mentioned more specific years, but I don't remember now!

MilanaKukla likes this.
  3. This is a tricky one, because it contains a variety of style elements so I'd look mostly at construction - but if it wasn't of Western manufacture, that won't necessarily help.

What can you tell us about the zipper (materials, location) and seam, hem construction? Does it have facings, or serging? Interior photos might help. Thank you.

MilanaKukla likes this.
  4. MilanaKukla

This makes sense! the dress does look like it was "made to order" instead of mass produced, the construction finishes aren't sophisticated.

5. MilanaKukla

A regular metal zipper, probably #3 with twill tape and metal zipper head with USA on it. the zipper is covered with a snap on one side extension.

Bottom hem is about 2" allowance, turned back and edge stitched on the machine, then blind stitched by hand.

No facing, turn back hem and no serging.

Please see attached photos

Attached Files: