1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What year is this Ceil Chapman from?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by www.VintageGrace.com, Jan 24, 2005.

1. What year is this Ceil from? 1960s, 1970s???

I refer to this dress as an "inauguration" type dress. It reminds me of something someone would wear to a presidential inauguration! (Am I spelling that word right! I can't function without a spellchecker lol)

It's a very, very, heavy metallic brocade. Bodice is a golden creamy color, bottom is a light salmon pink. This fabric is HEAVY! The dress weighs a ton (really, an actual ton. No exaggeration. I weighed it myself hehe!).

The waist is a 3" mixture of sequins, beading and rhinestone. It's something else!

I just can't decide on an era!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All help gratefully appreciated!!

Cheers ~ Maureen

PS - aplogies for the down & dirty photos! I've had it stored away...

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I think this is a job for......Anne :)

the first pic is not loading for me. Maybe that is a label?

according to the label resource, the last that would say just Ceil Chapman is the late 60s. Labels in the early 70s would be Lady Winston by Ceil Chapman.

3. Hi Chris,

I'm not sure why the 1st photo isn't loading! Hmmm

However, it isn't a label shot, it's a full length shot. I didn't take a label shot but it's a standard Ceil Chapman label (the white one without the needle) It doesn't say Lady Winston so I guess that rules out the 70s??

~Maureen

4. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Maureen, inauguration is a great word to describe this. I would say
    60s not 70s.

Hopefully Anne will be able to give you some insider info on this style
    of CC.

Sue

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I agree with 1960s. It has that heavy encrusted surface combined with simple, modest lines that more conservative women liked for their evening wear.
    Think largeish earrings and big hair.

Hollis

6. vgriffin

vgriffin Registered Guest

i think it's right on the cusp, '69-'70/'71...isn't that when the skirts went maxi?

btw, this is tamara. :) i forgot my password.

cheers :) t

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I agree, not earlier than 68 nor later than 71.

8. Thank you all so much for the input!!

It is always greatly appreciated!!

I actually found out that this dress was from the '62-63 eras collection! Amazing that it is that old! She apparently used alot of the heavy metallic matelasse brocade with the heavy embellishments during that time frame.

Ya learn something new everyday, eh???

Thanks for everything!!

Cheers ~ Maureen

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

That heavy upholstery like matelasse isn't used that early, its far more popular in the late 60s. The midriff is definately too wide, if it were early 60s it would have either a seperate belt or small, probably piped seam at the saist. The collar is typical of the late 60s as is that almost A line skirt, if it were early it would be a straight skirt and more likely not matching the textile of the bodice, but rather a plain satin. I am sure its not as early as 1962/63. Does the label have the needle and thread on it?

10. Hi Jonathan,

No needle and thread. It is just the plain white label with 'Ceil Chapman' in black thread. Should I post a picture of it (the label)?

~Maureen