1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Going On?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amandainvermont, Jan 31, 2020.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

A friend just brought by these three items. He actually dug the one in the middle, the other two are from lawn sales. I told him I'd share them with the knowledgeable folks in the Vintage Fashion Guild !

three.jpg

three2.jpg three4.jpg

If you push on the lever in front of the dog's head, its mouth opens. All I can think of is some kind of figural paper clip.

The hands vaguely resemble a sweater clasp.

three3.jpg three5.jpg

(Sorry about that last photo)

And the crystals appear old. Quite a bit of weight to them.

three1.jpg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

How cute is that doggie? Could it be a hole punch of some sort? I'm guessing that it's too thin to be a nut cracker.

The hands look like cloak clasps and the crystal drop necklace looks very Deco to me.

Is the dog for sale?

3. amandainvermont

It's 3 and 1/4 inches long. I can take more pictures if you are interested!~

4. Metro Retro Vintage

I found a similar dog on Pinterest -- which states it sold on eBay for $645.

Code:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/49469295879536925/?lp=true

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  5. amandainvermont

How interesting. What do you suppose was the purpose of the mouth opening? My first thought was to hold a needle, but then you once had a pin cushion there. GOOD sleuthing, by the way. Thanks.

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  6. Metro Retro Vintage

This one sold on Ruby Lane, and it is identified as a hem clamp. So clever!

Code:
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/1312535-CLAMP106/CLAMP-BRASS-DOG-Sewing-Original-Antique

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Mt first thought was part of skirt lifter, or garment lifter. Those are all really cool!

8. amandainvermont

Wonderful information - I never would have guessed.

9. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

That is a 1930s "nibless" clasp on the crystals necklace.