1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When designers go bad! Good grief!!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by www.VintageGrace.com, Jan 30, 2005.

1. I just saw this on CNN.com

Now, this is just plan silly! I wouldn't even call it fashion. I'd call it "Trying so hard to do something different that you end up look like a fool" fashion.

Check it out:
    Oh puleeeeeeeeeze, these "designers" should just hang up their tape measures and take up accounting!! (Deb, we need the barfing emoticon!!) :P

Ugh, save me!! ~ Maureen

2. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

wow...
    you know.. I appreciate a good parody... but this is more like a couture caricature...

scary, truly!

kristine

3. premierludwig

premierludwig Registered Guest

That is wild! D'you think they were designing a baby range at the same time and got drunk and mixed the designs up... or maybe their fabric order didn't arrive on time so they panicked and just went on the rampage in the shops grabbing anything to stick on their designs and when they got back to the workshop all they'd got were bags full of babyclothes?!

I can't see it catching on... if it does, people really *are* slaves to fashion. It'd be so easy to convert your old clothes to the new style though.

The mini denim jacket shoulders kind of work as a new style, but the addition of the stick on jeans has just ruined it!

Come back Vivienne Westwood, all is forgiven! (I actually *love* her clothes, I just can't afford them! There was a boutique of hers down the road from the hair salon I used to work in and she did the most divinely decadent day-wear corsets and the most beautiful feminine skirts.)

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

They couldn't be serious!

I have seen the babydoll look, etc being interpreted to adult clothes but this reminds me of the "static cling" Halloween costume (just pin socks and underwear to yourself).

And I agree with Senti...maybe a designer would try putting denim epulets on something and maybe it would come out okay, but come on now...

But I can't help but think they would be better served by this being about trying to sell the line of baby clothes and this was jsut an over the top way to draw attention to them.

5. premierludwig

premierludwig Registered Guest

yeah, the static-cling look, that is *exactly* what it looks like! I've never heard of anyone dressing as static cling before, that's great!

Being a Brit I'm not all clued in with halloween costumes, all the fancy dress parties I've been to have been quite un-imaginative, if anyone can be bothered to make any effort they go as Marilyn, Cleopatra or a hippie... I've always wanted to go as Queen Elizabeth I - as she's a major idol of mine - and I have recently found the perfect dress for it, but just need a red wig and an actual fancy dress party to attend. LOL! I may have to fly over to the US for Halloween if I don't get any invitations before then! It's such a fabulous dress that it *needs* an outing. And just wearing it makes me want to stride about yelling "off with their head!" and all that. ;) There's a deffinate shortage of costume balls these days. And the last decent costume I saw was a friend of mine dressed as an Oxo cube at my birthday party when I was about 9!

I'm trying to get beyond my love of the babydoll look as I'm soon going to be far too old to carry it off, but it's very difficult getting over something as outrageously fun as going out to a 60s party wearing a super-cute super-flattering dress with huge false eyelashes, painted on bottom-lashes and long blonde ringlets in your hair. I shall be sick with dissappointment when I stop getting compliments for dressing like that. :( I think I shall deffinately need to be sedated before I part with my bright yellow babydoll dress.

...the denim hat in the picture is growing on me. I'm not going out with a teddy bear on my head though like the other one! You'd have to be a beyond-obsessive new mother to go for the whole look, and even then you could put the insanity down to hormones.

love, moons and starrs,
    Senti.*

6. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

There are definitely more people into halloween over here. In Salem, Massachusetts its halloween for a whole month, and there is a Halloween ball. Friends of mine went as Leonardo DaVinci and the Mona Lisa one year and won a prize. But you have to reserve far in advance.

on the babydoll look...if you can pull off the look why not?

Chris

7. dibs2002

dibs2002 Registered Guest

They forgot the bibs!

When my arms are less sore, I'll add barfy. Just spent an hour icing my arms. Ow.

8. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

they look like they stood at the end of the runway, designers threw baby clothes up in the air the models ran for them catching them against their bodies.

9. I think it's hysterical that the chick in the denim outfit actually is trying to put her hands in the pockets of those little bitty pants!! And Senti, I wouldn't get too attached to that denim hat. I am willing to bet good money there is an animal or a piece of fruit stuck to the top we can't see because the photo is cut off!! :P

The sad thing is, the model in the pink jumper could almost fit into that baby outfit (width wise)!! She's about as small as it is!! :D

~Maureen

10. ourbabyroo

ourbabyroo Registered Guest

Well, geez....I have TONS of baby clothes. Maybe I will make a fortune this spring? LOL - NOT! :D

11. artisannes

artisannes VFG Member VFG Past President

Oh my lord - I was expecting to see the green pixie guy in the line up.