1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did Whiting & Davis make jewelry?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by polyesterchesters, Feb 3, 2005.

1. polyesterchesters

polyesterchesters Registered Guest

I found this fantastic cameo ring and inside it is stamped Whiting and Davis Mesh bags. I love the ring, but I can not wear rings (wedding band did me in!)

When did they make jewelry? Anyone know?

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

They made it for many years. Most pieces I have seen in person were from about the 50s, but I will check to see if I have any examples of marks that would narrow it down for you. There is a particular type of cuff bracelet I have seen a lot of.

Do you have a picture or scan of the ring?

3. Whiting & Davis is a company to watch for growth in the vcj markets. They did very strong and dramatic pieces - like intaglio cut cameos and filigree work and well as chain-y jewelry too. Very popular in the 50s and 60s and sold as "better end" costume jewelry.

Some sets today are comanding good prices, but for sure this company line is only going to go up for costume jewelry collectors!

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I knew that Barbara would know!

W&D also is a supplier for metal mesh to other companies (on an unrealted tidbit) so SOME of the other mesh accessories like gloves, belts on the higher end, and wraps could be W&D even if it is somebody else :)