1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which way round does this dress go please?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by carrie_courtney, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Hi and good evening i dont want to appear completely stupid but i have a really lovely dress which i think is late 30s early 40s, but i can not make my mind up which is the back and which is the front. LOL

First i thourght the ties were at the back, then at the front, now i changed my mind and think they cross over and tie at the back, but then it looks odd, theres no marker label nor label in the neck, the seams arent forward on the shoulders,
    I just am not sure how it should be worn,, its also very long, my dress form is set at 5,9" and it still drapes the floor
    Any ideas would be great help, thank you and very best wishes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

It's hard to tell with your photos - but the fourth photo down looks right to me. Is the skirt longer on one side? At least that would show you which is the back. Are those little strips of fur on the shoulders?

3. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Can you post larger photos or links to the larger ones? Hard for my old eyes to see with the photos this size... I tend to agree with Amanda, though, on #4--based on what I can see.

4. Hi and good morning thank you for your replies,

yes its fur on the side, very soft fur, like rabbit but a little longer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Hi Carrie,

Gorgeous! The first pic, of the larger ones you just
    put up, looks right to me. The fur looks like mink.

Sue

6. First pic looks like the front to me.

7. Thank you very much for your replys,i just measured the dress and with the dress like the first bigger picture and the bust is 42" and waist 34" and hip 46" and its length is 71" collar to hem,certainly for one very tall lady...

8. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Striking dress, Carrie; just lovely!

I would "pull" up the left side of the wrap bodice (and yes, I think you have it right there), so that yo don't get the buckling of the fabric under the waistline. It should wrap up a bit higher so the neckline doesn't plunge quite as much. If it was made for a very tall woman, then it's probably a bit too long in the top for your dress form, but a rearranging should do the trick!

9. TresChic

TresChic Registered Guest

i would think late 30's so...i would go with the first pic....

10. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

I thought these types of dress were very plungy in the back and high in the front.

Sandra