1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is the designer?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by debutanteclothing, May 8, 2020.

1. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

Happy Friday everyone!
    Good to be back here ❤️

I am trying to identify the designer of this dress that Dolores Del Río is wearing. Any idea?

Sandra 987CF22B-B17D-4A5C-A1FC-3D87EA3127F8.png

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Sandra, nice to see you here. That is one crazy print of dancers.
    There is a lot going on in that photo, the monkey fur, the Frida Kahlo self portrait, Marlene Deitrich's fabulous bracelets!!!!
    I wonder if it could be Schiaparelli?

Distantdetails likes this.
  3. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

Hey Mary Jane! Nice to see you too. I really need to speak up more often here. I always learn so much.

I think they may be at Frida’s house since I know they were all good friends. I got Schiaparelli vibes too but don’t have any proof .

4. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

My first thought was Schiaparelli, but I don't have any specifics to back that up.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I did find a dress of hers with a ballerina dancer print on pinterest.

If you google Schiaparelli dancers print you should find it.

Distantdetails likes this.
  6. Henry Wilkinson

Henry Wilkinson VFG Member

I'm pretty sure it's a Schiaparelli. Del Río was a client of Schiaparelli, and this looks very similar to some of her other work. I'd even suggest it's circa. 1939 design. I've attached some photos for reference. Hope that helps!

Attached Files:

7. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Not sure how reliable it is but on the FB page of the Frida Kahlo Museum, when this photo was posted, a commenter stated that it was Schiaparelli.

delrio.JPG

Last edited: May 18, 2020