1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is this1970s vintage American prairie dress by?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by grace8899, Jun 27, 2022.

1. grace8899

grace8899 Registered Guest

Hello everyone :)

I got this beautiful vintage dress today, I am guessing it's 70s but it might not be! It only has the care label in it and I was wondering if anyone had any tips and tricks on how I could work out where it might've come from? I am not familiar with american vintage brands

it is a 100% cotton maxi dress, it laces up at the front through the crochet trim and has a zipper down the back. It is a navy blue with a floral print with then the bodice, flared cuffs and flounce at the bottom being in a striped brown/cream floral print. It features crochet trim at the flounce and sleeve cuffs. I would personally describe it as well made, the seams are neat and machine stitched raw edges- stitching all seems to be in cotton or polycotton thread- as you can see from the first image.
    The zip at the back is brown and metal and is a "TALON" brand of zip, this has been nicely inserted as a hidden zip- image 2. The care label is attatched to the bottom left section of the semi-circle fabric in the inside of the dress that lines the neck and upper section of the zip.

Here are some photos, no worries if no luck, thank you for looking! I do love vintage and always want to know any more that i can!

apologies for poor lighting but i hope these are helpful enough! the top of the label says: made in california
    20220627_235859.jpg 20220627_213532.jpg
    the black cord to me looks like it's possibly not original- its quality doesn't seem to fit with the dress- it feel like a synthetic fibre compared to the rest of the dress 20220628_000132.jpg

2. Try looking up the RN number on the label:
    TextileRN - Basic Search (ftc.gov)

It's difficult to read in your photo of the label... Is it 17896? If so, that is coming back as MARCO FABRICS MANUFACTUING.

I think it likely that your cute dress was simply a department store item with no "name" brand.

CatsLikeUs likes this.
  3. grace8899

ooh thank you so much that's very helpful!

Yes I couldn't make it out in the dark last night either, I believe it is- 17696
    When I searched it it came up with guild lingerie of california, time to do more digging!

thank you for your help :)

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

5. grace8899

Hello x
    Yes it certainly does in that image! I think in the daylight though (that first image certainly isnt the best) it looks more like a 6, although it is rather faded!
    20220630_003540.jpg

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

I agree, it IS a really cute dress!! sure looks 70s to me, love the print combination on it, those sleeves are fabulous as is the lace up front!

by the way,
    is called a facing. :)

7. grace8899

Thank you everyone for your help!

Ah thank you Mary I shall know for the future it is the facing!

Now I've just come accross the exact same dress on etsy and it appears to still have a brand label in!

So looks like it's probably a Frederick's of Hollywood dress! Not sure if that's a standard price for a dress by them but glad mine was less than 10% of that!

Screenshot_20220715-113623_Etsy.jpg Screenshot_20220715-113644_Etsy.jpg

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is certainly a surprising style for Frederick's of Hollywood. Glad you were able to find the one you did.
    Charming dress!

10. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

Love the sleuthing and love the dress!! Thanks for sharing.