1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who made that vintage fabric?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by NylonNostalgia, Apr 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

Have you ever wondered where a particular vintage fabric was made and who made it? If so, here is a list that may help you find more information about your vintage textiles. This list is a compilation of not only the more popular and familiar vintage fabrics, especially for lingerie, but also some of the more obscure fabrics of which little is known:

https://nylonnostalgia.com/f/who-made-that-vintage-fabric

...and yes, you're quite right - I do need to get a life outside of vintage, lol!

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh, wow!

I have one more for your list... from a NOS full slip made in Italy ! I don't have the slip anymore, long sold, but I kept the images.
    gara2.jpg
    gara3.jpg
    gara5.jpg

3. NylonNostalgia

True! Good old Nailon! I'll add it :)

Midge likes this.
  4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

That's wonderful Emma! :clapping:

NylonNostalgia likes this.
  5. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

That’s awesome! Do you happen to have the dates/ years they were introduced as well? That would make the resource even better!

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

7. NylonNostalgia

That’s the plan!

8. NylonNostalgia

Sunday update: many more dates, supporting information and imagery added. Much more to come too :)

Vintagiality likes this.
  9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Hah, you made me go digging too... Viscosuisse, founded as Société Suisse de la Viscose in 1905 as part of Sociéte Française de la Viscose (Wikipedia says 1906, but the actual trade register entry dates to 1905) , renamed Viscosuisse in 1976 and ceased to exist in 2007. The trademark/brand name Viscosuisse was first registered in 1965 though.

The Viscor trademark was entered in 1943, along with a heap of other fantastic fiber names that I've never heard before... Acelba, Arma, Armita, Aros, Flimba, Pila, Rayac, Yuva, Torsa. Wow... :hysterical:

Vintagiality and NylonNostalgia like this.
  10. NylonNostalgia

Nice work, Karin! I'll need a whole new website for just that article alone!

Vintagiality likes this.
  11. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

12. CatsLikeUs

CatsLikeUs VFG Member

13. hoardersandcollectors

hoardersandcollectors Registered Guest

This is so helpful (and entertaining) thank you for posting this!

Love the ad "IT'S NYLON OR NOTHING"

:clapping: