1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's watching the Red Carpet???

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Beehive Vintage Goods, Feb 22, 2009.

1. avamac

avamac Alumni

GAAAAAH..I think she looks like one of those toilet paper cozy dolls...

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I didn't watch the red carpet, but the on-stage dresses were better this year than most, I thought. Queen Latifah wore the worst --- blue with some sort of black tassel band over her shoulder. I didn't like Reese Witherspoon's dress either, but Halle Berry looked amazing, Sophia Loren pulled off her ruffly beige creation, and the French woman who played Edith Piaf was beautiful. I think they need to do something about the 'regular' folks who get up to the podium, like the woman in the phenomenal red satin evening dress who got an award for a short documentary or something like that -- she really needed some lipstick and a comb to carry off the dress... And Heath Ledger's family needed to play down the ruffles and rhinestones considering they were accepting the award posthumously -- I would have suggested black and simple.

As for Hugh Jackman - I thought it looked like they hired a singer/dancer rather than a host for the show this year -- that thing he did in the audience was stolen almost exactly out of his Broadway show 'The Boy from Oz'. However, I liked his opening number, just not the Top Hat dance number -- it was a little too close the Snow White debacle from twenty years ago...

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I was surprised to hear that Hugh Jackman would host, I really did not think he pulled it off. That top hat number was just weird and I love old musicals!

Penelope Cruz looked wonderful in her vintage Balmain and I loved Anne Hathaway's stunning Armani Prive gown. Angelina's emeralds were incredible! Halle Berry's gown looked amazing although I wish I could have had a closer look at it.
    Marion Coutillard's Black and Blue Dior was quite special too.

4. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

I loathe Angelina but loved the earring/cocktail ring combo in green with the black gown.

I was so happy for Slumdog Millionaire! The girl who did wardrobe was here in Iowa shooting Peacock last summer and I worked with her then, we've kept in touch since....the other day she said in an email that she was shocked over the nominations for it because they "didn't even know if it would be marketable"!

Ang

5. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

I liked Queen Latifa's performance during the tribute. I didn't think she looked all that bad.

Now Sophia Lauren, she's starting to look a bit weathered. Maybe time to stop wearing the booby show dresses. AND GET YOUR HAND OFF YOUR HIP!

6. Was I the only one who thought the Hugh Jackman song and dance medley was painfully cheesy? And not in the good way!

7. dorotheascloset

I thought it was hilarious, which was not the intent (I dont think, anyway)!

I dont really like him, and thought he was an odd choice to host.

Ang

8. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

I actually thought the show was fairly well done with a few exceptions. It seemed a little toned down but still glam.

I loved Natalie Portman's look. The pink dress and simple hairdo kind of summed up the mood of the evening for me.

9. Marion Cotillard looked absolutely beautiful. From her dress to her make up to her gorgeous updo hair to her cute boyfriend. That woman has it all.

10. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I thought the overall show was pretty good as well. I would far rather see someone like Robbin Williams host it and keep everyone on edge. I sort of thought Queen Latifah might have put that black swaggy thing over her shoulder because she was doing the "people who have passed" segment. But then what was Reese's reason? I did not like Alicia Keys dress - It has that weird draping across her tummy - is she pregnant? But the other dress in this photo is nice.

[​IMG]

11. Some random thoughts

Hugh reminded me of a cruise ship emcee

That group of past Best Supporting Actresses-all of them, not just Whoopi, looked awful.

I had no idea Joel Grey was still alive!

In the interview I saw Penelope Cruz said that she saw that Balmain gown 8 years ago and just recently went back to buy it for the Oscars. I wonder where it was, in what shop, that it sat for 8 years.

Mickey Rourke looked like death in Gautier.

12. dorotheascloset

I read she got it at/from Lily et Cie (which has some nasty reviews on Yelp)

Ang

13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

14. Overall I enjoyed the show, but the highlight for me was the banter between Tina Fey and Steve Martin and especially the "Don't fall in love with me." line.

15. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

^^I loved that too!^^ And the Japanese animation guy who rambled on in strained English and finished with "Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto."

16. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

Esquire has a good men's recap, and I agree with mostly everything they say:
    http://www.esquire.com/style/oscars-best-dressed-2009?src=rss

I usually don't agree with the critics on the women.
    Whoopi Goldberg in leopard? Awesome!
    The white origami Versace gown worn by Marisa Tomei was amazing.
    SJP was meh. And is it just me, or is Matthew Broderick painfully awkward?
    Reese Witherspoon gets my vote for worst.
    Melissa Leo, like Tilda Swinton, could wear tinfoil and I'd still think she's fabulous.
    And I really wish Beyonce would just stay home.

17. I loved the Japanese animation dude too!!!!!!

"I thank my pencil" :hysterical::hysterical:

18. secondlooks

secondlooks Alumni

I recall Whoopi saying (on the view) she was wearing Dior to the awards. The print looked like what Diablo (?), the Juno writer wore (was it last yr?), anyhow, also Dior.

19. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

So - You all liked this? (I didn't) This is Dior ???? :BAGUSE:

[​IMG]

20. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

The reasons I like it:
    Totally in character and unlike anyone else
    All 70s maxi vibe including the angel sleeves
    Gorgeous plunging neckline, emphasizing the assets

Think about it - it's difficult to dress a figure that doesn't fit the traditional hourglass "hot" silhouette. Women of a certain age who have no waistline have a very hard time not looking like they're wearing tents to formal occasions. Meryl Streep gets cr@p for it all the time. When your figure is more oval or rectangle than hourglass you're gonna be a target for the "don't" list. Or if you have simply decided to opt out of the race for the top fashion honors, like Tilda Swinton. Really, the only thing over-the-top about Whoopi's dress is the print.