1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do we buy vintage clothes???

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by april, Jun 12, 2009.

1. april

april Registered Guest

hi , guys.

I am doing some research bout why people buy vintage clothes??

is it because of past experience or memories??
    or is it beacause people are influenced by social groups around them??

or inspired by celebrities???

or just simply because they just love vintage style??like they just love 60s looks, etc......

is it something about people's nostalgia feeling??

thanks for you guys answering my questions!!!:cheer:

2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Quality first. Uniqueness (not crazy about that word, but a nice piece of vintage is probably not going to be seen on more than one person in an area.) Style - personally I love the 40's - fabulous novelty prints, flattering draping on the dresses,such nice fabric, fun buttons etc.

Nothing to do with celebrities.

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with celebrities.

style. quality. craftsmanship. timelessness. many vintage garments & accessories are true works of art.

nothing nothing NOTHING to do with celebrities.

4. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Style, quality, the marvelous fabrics, and, as Amanda says, the unique nature of vintage. You won't see 2 other people in the same dress as you when you go somewhere.

The quality of the fabrics and the construction are, for the most part, far superior to what you get today. Even what one would have considered "mid-range" garments and brands in their day far outshine what's considered mid range today. I have a 1950's cashmere coat that I've owned for more than 20 years, cost me about $30, and when it was cleaned a couple of years ago, it looked like new. You buy a winter coat today for $200 or whatever, and it'll fall apart before it's gone 20 years.

I couldn't care less what celebrities--or what my friends & relatives--are wearing.

And I suppose, to a certain extent for me, it's a feeling of nostalgia, or maybe just a love of the past. I was brought up in a household where we had a lot of vintage and antique furniture and collectibles, and I loved it all. My collecting of vintage apparel and accessories is a natural (to me) offshoot of that. One of my favorite eras is the 60s, which is when I basically grew up, so I fully expect that's one reason I'm attracted to clothing of that time. But I LOVE the 50's stuff because of its styling.

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I agree with all the above as being the main reasons I buy vintage. Uniqueness, liking feeling I'm not following the dictates of fashion, definitely the quality, and liking styles from particular eras.

In addition, the following thoughts come to mind.

There is a certain thrill to finding and owning something unique, and knowing what it is and what its history is, that is probably common to collectors of all kinds. Like right now, I'd love to own a Horrockses 50s dress, and that's because I know about Horrockses, and their part in the cotton industry and British fashion of the 50s, and their influence in making cotton a desirable dress fabric, and their innovative and creative print designs. And their dresses are beautiful gorgeous things. Those feelings are probably similar in someone who collects faberge eggs, or rare books, or sports memorablia, or whatever it is. You become knowledgable about a subject, then collect pieces because you know their significance. Although perhaps the difference is, I'd get to wear my dress! I.e. it would become part of my everyday life.

For me, as almost a fringe benefit, is an ethical thing. I like buying clothes from before the times when in-built obsolescence became the norm in everything we buy. Vintage is anti-consumerist, it's recycling rather than using up new resources, and a vintage garment is unlikely to have been made in a ruthless sweatshop. I can't pretend it's the main reason I buy vintage, but it's an additional feel-good-factor.

Another big reason for me is actually value-for-money. I get far more 'wow-factor' for my money from vintage clothes than I ever could from new.

It's not about memories for me - I rarely wear clothes from eras I can actually remember. And it's not social groups, most of my friends don't wear vintage the way I do. They may have one or two pieces but it's not the main element of their wardrobe the way it's become for me. And no, not celebrities.

Nostalgia may play a part, but it's not like I think I'd like to have actually lived in the, say, the 50s. It's nostalgia for the style, and I know that reflects the ideals of the age, rather than the reality.

Ruth

6. scillas

scillas Registered Guest

Ha! Finally a question in here I am able to answer ;-)
    Great to read the oher answers too.
    I too grew up in a household with antiques mixed with second-hand and handed-down stuff, and I me and my to sisters share the love of vintage/recycle/antique everything.
    For me I think it's the sense of history. I don't know if that is nostalgia, but I love that fragile items like clothing or china have survived (many) decades or decennia of human life.
    And I often have the feeling that I rescue something valuable when I pick up yet another item that I really don't have the space/money/figure/ to use myself.
    I like to wonder about who sometime designed this crazy or stunning pattern, and who originally bought it and why. And I admire the workmanship it took to produce and the care to look after such items that previous generations had. So when you come across something that carries those qualities and is offered at a very modestly prices, compared to what the previous owners must have payed – i find it hard to resist.

7. I buy vintage because I love it!

I can't help it - I went through a stage in my early 30s, I was depressed and lost my sense of self and thought others were right about what I should wear so I bought bland, safe modern clothes. I felt like an android - they lacked personality, style, quality. I realised that I don't want to blend in with the crowd, that I need to express my individuality and I want to wear clothes that were built to last.

I love vintage and it's here to stay in my life now!

Nicole

8. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

Maybe it is because I'm younger, maybe it was my generation, or maybe it was the town I grew up in. I started buying vintage in my teens because it wasn't trendy. Gargage sale finds, thrift stores, vintage shops made up my wardrode.

I consider myself a "younger" vintage lover. I'm late 20's, early 30's. I never got to experience first hand wearing pearls and a dress to clean. There's something about an apron that takes my breath away. There's something about chiffon and lace.... I want to sit at a vanity and get all dollied up. I love wearing classic looks like a twinset, pearls and khakis. Maybe it is the simpler time. Maybe ignorance is bliss. Maybe vintage just makes me feel so darn pretty!

9. nostalgic*collections

Nicole - I did the same thing. Very independent as a teen. Decided to fit in and buy bland cloths and work a boring job and conform to society for a very long time. I grew tired of it and now I am rediscovering the passion, enthusiam, and joy vintage clothing brought my life!

10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Good question!

I guess I was always fascinated by fashion and fashion history, though I wasn't very fashion-conscious in the usual sense for a long time - I simply couldn't care less about what was "in" and what not - probably til I was 17. But even after that I never felt like I had to go with all the trends.
    I only ever wore what I liked, no matter what others thought. Mom made me a lot of stuff herself and in school I was laughed about because of that quite a bit (and I grew up in the country)!
    Even as a kid I remember watching corny old movies on TV and looking closely at all the women's clothes and starting to register what was typical for which era etc.
    I went to a vintage clothes shop the first time when I was about 15 - famous Steinberg & Tolkien in London. Mom had already started a bit with collecting old costume jewelry and knew about the shop - which was a revelation for me! I loved the idea of wearing all these fabulous vintage clothes, and my mom bought me a vintage little cocktail dress, because she liked it so much. From then on I was "done for". Everything came together - my love of vintage fashion, fashion in general, I know how to sew and can mend something if needed, or change it a bit... At first I bought mostly evening wear - oh the glamour of it all!. Then my best friend, who lives in Vienna, introduced me to a chain of secondhand shops there, whose profit goes to charity. She shops there for newer secondhand stuff, simple, classic things that she wears to work. She's a personal assistant and has to dress in a way that's not really her personal style, so she simply doesn't want to spend a lot on work clothes. When she buys really vintage things, it's mostly for wearing off-work. We both wear our vintage clothes mixed with new stuff, or accesorized with new things - we don't do the "complete" look, we just go for individual style. What we love too are vintage leather handbags, and I think light cotton summerdresses from the 50s and 60s are simply the right thing to wear on a hot summer day - it looks great, yet is light enough to stay cool. I even wore one of those to a job interview. It's just so much fun - the "thrill of the hunt", the whole experience of shopping at secondhandshops with my best friend. Like both trying the same thing and both looking really bad in it and having a good laugh about it. And the joy of having something unique.

Karin

11. purrfectvintage1

purrfectvintage1 Registered Guest

What a great question.
    I got into Vintage Fashion by complete accident. At 18 I needed some evening/cocktail dresses for several big posh dos' I had to attend. As luck would have it that week there was an advert in the local paper and when I went to look the dresses were all 50s, 60s & 70s. They all fitted and were just amazing. Anyway the little old lady said that as I had given herself and her husband such a great fashion show and brought back so many great memories she gave the whole lot to me, along with a 50s Marabu Feather Wrap and some hats and gloves, bags etc. I still have one dress and the Marabu wrap in my wardrobe and to be honest they are pretty much the center of my collecton.
    So after that I found a small vintage dress shop within walking distance of my home and then another in a very small town that was on the way to and from college.
    Anyway I was mixing vintage & new clothing quiet happily until I made a huge mistake and married a complete control freak who put me down constantly and said all vintage was granny clothing. Anyway now a very ex husband I am now rebuilding my vintage wardrobe and now my new partner/boyfriend is very supportive of it all hanging up around the house and being seen with me in a 50s suit (like today LOL)
    My mum was a big fan of vintage too (she dies when I was 18) so I think that is part of it, I know if she was still here she would love it all too and would be dressed in Vintage Laura Ashley~her fav:drinking2:
    Thanks for reading, sorry to send you to sleep LOL (have dug out a 50s summer dress for tomorrow, so if it rains it's my fault) LOL!! :USETHUMBUP:

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  12. nostalgic*collections

Hey girl... my heart goes out to all of us independent spirits that were once crushed, put down, laughed at, and would like to congratulate all those who have found their way back.

I, too, have gotten back on the path to rediscovering my independent spirit and the part of my that loves vintage clothing.

13. PeterAnthony

PeterAnthony Registered Guest

Lingerie

I love vintage clothes....as they are so fashionable and lovely...

(Admin Edit....no outside link, please, for non-trade members. Please read forum rules above.)

14. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

I SO wanted to respond to this earlier but I had to run out the door (if you want a patient man, don't go for a french one lol, they have other, um strong points ;) but patience isn't one of them lol)... anyways...

Vintage clothes ROCK!! :)

I like them for many reasons, the quality (as was mentioned) one of a kind - WOW factor (also mentioned,most of what I have was probably mentioned but I'm just going to say it again )...

I LOVE the fabrics used (the sexy sheers, funky prints - those thick linen type dresses - I LOVE the dynamic of a super short sexy dress, made with a table cloth lol, I LOVE THAT!!) and the details - every stitch, bodice, lace finish ect. I like that most of my stuff was made in the USA or Canada...

Hahaha - independant spirits alike - I'll never forget when I was in grade 7, I had found this 60's shirt in my mom's closet (I'm kinda younger too I guess, I was born in the mid 70s - so ALL my vintage is second hand :) ) -and it was AWESOME!! White with embroidered flowers, I LOVED it - so I quickly aquired it for my own and I was wearing it at school and a group of us girls were discussing future plans - at that time I wanted to be a fashion designer - so I said that. One girl says to me "Uh you know Val, I know you do have a good fashion scence - well I guess you do, but that shirt - ummm no" (or something to that effect in a - catty nasty way) So I tell her I LOVE the shirt and proceed to wear it as often as I can untill it is dead...fast forward 4 years, I see her again (I moved out young, long story of a misspent youth - I was back in town for a bit)...She's wearing a replica oif THE EXACT SAME SHIRT!!! Oh my did I laugh!! I told her the thing about fashion designers is they are always AHEAD of the times...hehehe, she apologized, I told her I didn't care, I just found the irony of it really funny...

There's something about clothing with history that I just can't resist. I love that I think "who wore this? Where did she wear it to?" And the styles are just amazing, sexy without being striperish (even stripers had class back in the day - no offense to stripers, I just don't want to dress like one)...I always think about the times the clothes from what was going on in history at that time, what kind of issues the women were facing on a day to day basis...I see the true strength in woman of the past in these clothes, the changing of the times and I think were does it go from here?... I'm just starting to like vintage men's clothing as well, but I haven't gotten into them yet.

I just like them because they make me happy, I love looking at old patterns, wearing the clothes, even just touching and the smell of vintage, that nice sweet, slightly musty smell of a well cared for vintage piece, it's awesome...I guess it makes me think of quieter, more down to earth days, I think we've sacrificed alot for convienience, we (OK maybe it's *I*) take things forgranted, our stuff isn't valued like these clothes were - I'm lucky if some of my clothes last me a year the way they're made nowadays - and I have pieces that are 40+ years old that are in AMAZING condition - they are well made...

OK :) I think have covered all my reasons, but I'll think of more I'm sure - it's fun too, and I LOVE the looks and comments :) and there's also the thrill of the score for me, getting it finding it, knowing that it's worth WAY more than I paid for it :) or even if it isn't, knowing it's AWESOME and will make me look cool :) It's the thrill of the score :)

15. vintagecouture863

vintagecouture863 Registered Guest

I just love the styles of the 60s and 70s, especially the bold prints and funky retro patterns, plus it is always really cool to know that it is a unique piece!

16. avamac

avamac Alumni

Regardless of all the other pluses, and they are many... vintage clothes are the biggest bang for your clothing buck. My vintage store sells a ton of clothing to folks who could care less about the history, but know 100% cashmere when they see it. They see the quality, the cut, the line, the fine fabrics, and are instant converts. Later they may want a bit of education...and come to appreciate the nuances...

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  17. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Although for all of us die-hards, celebrity influence means NOT A THING -- to the general public, celebrity publicity HAS at least increased the public's awareness & acceptance of vintage as a viable fashion alternative.
    So for that, I'm thankful.

I remember shopping for my junior high school prom- circa 1987. I bought a strapless Gunne Sax dress - it had a full black taffeta skirt, and a champagne satin bodice covered in black lace.
    I hated it! But - it was the best thing I could find at the mall.
    I actually CRIED because I saw it sitting there on the rack with 8 other exact same dresses and I just KNEW someone else would be wearing the same dress at prom.
    The night of prom, I was overcome with just how horrible the situation was (dramatic much? Welcome to the teenage years!) and after curling my hair (which i hated!) I locked myself in the bathroom 7 refused to come out for an hour. Heh.
    Sure enough when I actually DID make it to the prom,there WAS another girl with the same dress on.

Ironically -- one of our VFG sellers has the exact same dress in their online shop!

I never made that mistake again - for my senior prom I had discovered a nearby vintage shop (I've since met the guy who supplied Old Glory with their vintage clothes! My inspiration!) and purchased a 50's black velvet cocktail dress with a black swag that came over the shoulder. I secured it in place with a vintage brooch.

I have clothes that are over 60 years old in my personal collection - they look great & are completely structurally sound. I wear my fave 30s dress weekly.

I also have things purchased at Target earlier this year that I've only worn a small handful of times that are falling apart at the seams :(

18. suelangley

suelangley Alumni

I love vintage for many reasons - and not just the style and beauty of the fabric! I think the most important reason is the item's place in time ... for instance, that 20s flapper dress saw one of the most pivotal and exciting eras of the 20s c.; it was actually THERE to see women finally Vote, to see prohibition and go to the speakeasy, to Charleston the night away and read F. Scott Fitzgerald when his books first came out... And every era's fashions correspond to their own place in history - so when you touch a vintage dress, you're touching its place in time as well and images of its past might flash through your mind like ghosts in the closet!

19. customtshirts

customtshirts Registered Guest

simply just because of their unique designs and stuff, i love to buy vintage cloths, as season is going to change so i was looking for some new collection and i am sure like my previous season in this season i will find more awesome collection.
    (Removed links. Please familiarize yourself with the "friends" rules above.)

20. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

Love this conversation! Definitely quality and actually finding clothing made in USA, detail and intricacies, style, femininity, the idea each garment has a history and I love daydreaming about who the woman was behind each garment! And for me I love attending an event where I know no one else will be wearing the same thing.