1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why isn't Crimplene listed in the VFG fabric resource?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by missaleecat, Jun 9, 2015.

1. missaleecat

missaleecat Registered Guest

Hi all

I found some 60's/70's textured cardigans that are in pristine condition and one of them happens to have a label saying that it is crimplene yarn.
    Due to its apparent immense popularity in the 60's (and judging on the amount of vintage crimplene items for sale on Esty & eBay) I was quite surprised to find that the fabric is not listed in the VFG fabric resource.
    Is it perhaps referred to by another name or am I missing something here....?

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Hi, I suspect because technically Crimplene is actually the name of the yarn, used to make the fabric, rather than a fabric that was given a brand name. In either case it is polyester, which is the fibre.

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I believe Crimplene is a trade name for a kind of polyester, and I think is less well known outside the UK. Our polyester section mentions Terylene, but not Crimplene. I agree it would be a good one to add. The fabric resource is constantly evolving, and things do get added.

cotmyey and missaleecat like this.
  4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Cross-posted with you Melanie. I believe Crimplene does refer to the fabric as well as the yarn. Wikipedia says so anyway.

5. missaleecat

missaleecat Registered Guest

Yeah, I did read up on the polyester resource initially to check, but really there are so many different types/names for polyester based fabrics.
    I just think it would beneficial to have all types of vintage fabrics listed...especially for the newbies!

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

7. Crimplene was very popular in Australia too: you see lots of super cute '60s Mod styles. Pity, because, you know - crimplene.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I might suspect it did not make it into the first round of our Fabric Resource (which is always growing as a resource) simply because it is not an American fabric. I admit that I have never heard of it (Crimplene), but then I have not studied modern UK fabrics and this one was invented and trade named in the UK.

9. The fabric resource is incredible and I thank the VFG members who have worked very hard on it, especially Maggie (Denise Brain Vintage). There are so many fabrics, especially when you factor in all of the synthetics of the '50s and '60s. We've had discussions before, too, about the different fabrics produced by different countries and in some cases, the different names (calico and muslin spring to mind).

As others have pointed out, it's always growing and Crimplene would be a worthy addition.

cotmyey, foofoogal and missaleecat like this.
  10. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree, thank you! I actually have a list of about 200 items that I want to add, including crimplene. It is an ongoing process, not a finished product, the Fabric Resource. Stay tuned...

11. PastPiecesVintage

PastPiecesVintage VFG Member

I LOVE the fabric resource and refer to it on a regular basis. Thanks to everyone's contributions. I admit I just learned something; I didn't know calico and muslin were the same. I wish we had a little red-faced emoji :).

12. denisebrain

I'm so glad you love the FR and use it! I do want to say that calico and muslin aren't the same thing. Would you please give me a heads up as to how I might have gotten that idea across? oopsemoti

13. I think it was my comment about calico and muslin having different names in other countries - but it's not that they're the same fabric called different things, it's that what Americans call calico, Australians call something else and what we call muslin, is called something else in the U.S. I've just woken up so can't recall the names but it's in the fabric resource I think.

14. PastPiecesVintage

PastPiecesVintage VFG Member

Ahhh, thanks for clarifying that! :duh2:

denisebrain likes this.
  15. denisebrain

For those of you who would like to see, I've added Crimplene to the Fabric Resource. Even though I've often heard the name, it wasn't easy to get info about, even in my UK fabric books. Please tell me if you see any factual errors.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  16. Good work Maggie! I'll see if I can source a good pic for you. Only one thing: Crimplene has a distinctive crepe like texture with lots of wrinkles - although I wasn't aware of the double knit version, I've only seen the thick crepe style.

17. denisebrain

Nicole, this is just the sort of thing I need to know! Is Crimplene always a knit? If so, is it a double knit (I could only find that from one source)? Is the crepe-like texture from the crimped yarns or some other process?

18. Hi Maggie,

It's not a very nice material and associated with easy care fashions for older people, so I rarely buy it - although it's not without its fans. I just did a search on my webshop and found this '60s set, which seems to be the Crimplene knit. This fabric isn't what is generally thought of as Crimplene though.

[​IMG]

Crimplene knit.jpg

19. denisebrain

To me that looks like a double knit jacquard (patterned on one side, birdseye on the other). I see what you mean about the crepe texture.

I'm getting the sense that Crimplene is a crepe-textured (due to the crimped yarn) double knit polyester. Perhaps also a single knit—jersey?

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  20. I agree Maggie - a double knit jacquard. It's quite nice with the rose print on one side.

You're welcome to use that image or if you'd like something closer, let me know and I'll organise it. From memory it's not really textured though, just knitted but next time I see it I'll have a closer look.

VFG member Louise of Catwalk Creative has this '60s Crimplene suit on Etsy - you can see how it's very textured, although Crimplene comes in assorted textures: it must be how it's woven.

[​IMG]