1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you please offer your dating opinion?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by peaceful vintage, Jul 6, 2011.

1. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Beautiful Ruth. Thanks so much for that information.

Linn, Thanks again for the compliment on my photo. I may not know my dating but I can take a photo for ya, :lol: I kill myself, haha.
    I think based on what Ruth provided style of the dress and the fact the two of you have seen dresses with this zipper that this is most likely is 30s/40s maybe, haha.

My skin tone is very pale and I burn in the sun. When I went to Hawaii though the sun turned me tan for the first time instead of red. We went to Maui, Honolulu, Waikiki, and I think one more but I can't remember. I remember the black sand beach. That was neat.

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

black sand beach on the Big Island of Hawaii...

[​IMG]

Honolulu and Waikiki are on the island of Oahu. :)

3. peaceful vintage

Ahh yes. That's it. Thank you for sharing that photo. :wub:

Caryn

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Unfortunately that black sand beach was destroyed by lava in 1989. Here's a little bit about it - if that's a photo of Kalapana, Mary.

http://www.hottours.us/html/regionalhotspots/puna/beaches/kalapana.html

This beach is at the end of my street. Not a swimming beach but gorgeous, non the less. This was taken about two weeks ago in the early evening:

[​IMG]

I live in Windward Oahu. The two little islands visible on the right are the Mokulua's off Lanikai.

5. peaceful vintage

Awwe..that is sad..That was a magnificent sight.

Wow Linn, The beach looks gorgeous. I can almost feel the breeze from the ocean looking at that picture.

Caryn

6. Ruth's got it in one - I like to use frock because of the old fashioned connotations but they're used interchangeably.

Re: your frock Caryn, in view of the zipper information I'd like to update my dating to late '30s to early '40s. As others have pointed out, the pre-WW2 styles share much in common with the post-WW2 styles. I should also add that I've seen plenty of '30s dresses/frocks with bra keepers.

Nicole

7. peaceful vintage

Ahhh...Ok. I understand. The consensus is now coming together on my swiss dotted cotton frock. I feel confident in offering it at this point as a 30s/40s frock ;)

Thanks, Caryn

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Late to the party as I've been away for a week (on an island with beautiful beaches too, just not that far away as Hawaii - but Usedom in furthest north-east corner of Germany :beach: ).

To me this felt 30s right from looking at the first photo. It's gorgeous!

Karin

9. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

With the side zipper,I was thinking as early as 1937 to 1945ish, myself. And possibly post war.

Hollis

10. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Well, I know relatively nothing compared to many who have posted on this, but I thought early 40s to begin with.... I can see that it might go mid 40s, but I honestly don't see it much later than that.